Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Fartlek

45 minutes Fartlek - 1 min fast, 30 seconds slow. Sounds a lot easier than 30 x 1min off a 30 second active recovery. You tend to hit a low point at around 17 minutes when you think the session is never ending, but the last 10 minutes seems to pass quite quickly.

Started with a good crowd of me, Ray, Serg, Anthony, Gerry, Darrens (Quarrell and new chap (asked his surname but I was knackered when he told me and I've now forgotten)) , Tim C, Enda, Toby, Adam C and Luke. Over half fell off before the end so that only Tim C, Darren New Chap, Enda, Adam and myself finished. Ray (who only planned to run until halfway) ran at the front with me following until Ray dropped out, then I ran at the front with Anthony, Tim C and Enda (who is going very well) variously joining in. It was very hot today which made the session very tough. Had to stop for a water break at the top of the Domain. Cut short the Domain section and ended up finishing slightly further around under the bridge from last time so we probably didn't cover as much ground. We chucked in the occassional easier 1 min rep for the group to re-form (which strangely coincided with when I was feeling a bit tired).

Great 10km race training. Just a shame I won't be running one until March.

Beaky - good to hear from you. Hope the stress fracture has healed and that the recovery continues to be successful. Would be good to see you back on the racing circuit in the near future. You don't want to be rowing in Canberra in Winter. You'll get stuck in the ice.

1 comment:

inhisshadow said...

Saw you out there with the greyhounds today - you looked to be running nicely at that stage, no visible sign of the achillies either. Hot day for it though