Thursday, January 28, 2016

Timmy's Hills and Tempo

Out with a decent size squad of masochists for one of the nasty sessions on the calendar.  In truth, it's very similar to my session on Tuesday.  20mins softening the legs up (800's on Tuesday, continuous hills today) followed by a tempo.  Today's tempo was more undulating but a bit shorter.  Similar warm (27C) and humid conditions.

Ran with Hoey for the first few hills.  Given I was doing a loop in just over a minute I figured I'd do 20 so broke them down into sets of 5.  You have a find a way to get through this session mentally as you can find yourself staring at the watch after 5mins in disbelief.  After 4 Hoey starts to pull ahead.  I gauge whether I'm still pulling ahead of the chaps behind or whether it's me slowing and convince myself it's the former.  Legs get a bit numb towards the end but I suppose that's the aim.

Massive queue for water then we're straight into the tempo around Mrs Macs.  Timmy does his best Blackadder Goes Forth impression by blowing the whistle and telling the troops the course for the 5km before quietly announcing he's only doing 3km.  I give everyone a bit of a start (alternatively, myself a bit more of a rest) then set off and get into a good rhythm.  3:16 first km but it's gentle downhill.  Then a 3:21, then a 3:22 including the tough little hill before the half way mark and I'm gaining confidence.  Hoey then helps me out for a bit to finish with a 3:17 and a final 3:20 pace 810m including the nasty hill again. 15:58 all up (3:19's) and I'm really chuffed with that.  Seem to have hit some form.

Nice warmdown with Conway for 16km all up.

No time for a PM as its pizza at Ironbark with the family to discuss first days at new schools.  In any case, I'm farked.

By the way, love this "Hanging with the Beckhams" post from Sammy's Blog:    

No comments: