Sunday, May 18, 2008

SMH Half - 18th in 1:13:21


Bit of a strange run. I'll get the excuses in first. Had a terrible preparation - Kirst was out at a Ball with her girlfriends until 1am and Maggie decided to start screaming at 11pm so only managed about 4 hours sleep. Stomach had also been giving me problems although before the race I had thought it was just nerves. Having said all that, I felt pretty good lining up at the start after catching up with Kanser, Charlie, Tucks, Mike, Durante et al beforehand.

I set off far too quick. My plan was to stick with Tucks for as long as possible and so for the first 5km I was in a group with Tucks, Chadi, Robin Whiteley, Anthony Farrugia, DrJH and Nick Bennett. Tucks made a sudden detour half way along Hickson Road to "do a Paula" which confused me for a second, I lost a bit of concentration coming under the Harbour Bridge and suddenly I was 10 yards off the back of the group, by myself. From then on, I was on a damage limitation exercise. I could see the group had fragmented up Hunter St and tried to concentrate on catching DrJH as I knew he always goes out quick and would likely be the one to tire in the 2nd half. I seemed to make good progress going out around Art Gallery Road and suddenly felt quite good again. However, I could hear footsteps behind which I guessed was Tucks and, sure enough, between 9 and 10km (outside the Art Gallery) he came past. We went through 10km in 34:10 - the only split I took.

I then hung on to Tucks until Argyle St (passing DrJH on Macquarie St), by which time we had also been joined by Robbie Neal. It's amazing how much easier it feels running with others - suddenly the pace seemed to be back in the legs again. However, up Argyle they created a gap and I was on my own again. DrJH caught me on Hickson Road and we ran together until the bottom of Hunter when he dropped back again. At this point, Mark Warren and another chap came flying by. I tried to cling on to them around the 3km Mrs Macquarie's Chair loop knowing I could salvage something by beating Mark (who had beaten me at Homebush). Also realised that if I lost touch with these two, Fats was likely to catch me, having noticed how much ground he had made up when I turned at Mrs Macquarie's Chair. So I clung on. Mark struggled up the hill just before the Art Gallery and the other bloke (who had pulled slightly ahead up the hill) wasn't extending the gap so just clung in. Realised I was catching him at the St Mary's u-turn so put in a final sprint into Hyde Park to pick up one more place. Robbie Neal must have slowed over the last few km as I wasn't far behind him in the end. Tucks finished strongly (of course) to pick up Farrugia and Glenn (who is plainly struggling). If he hadn't had the pit stop he'd have been ahead of Chadi.

Pleased to have beaten Mark and DrJH, a bit disappointed with the time but it's a tough old course. Not many PBs out there today, Fats being the notable exception with a great 1:13:4X. Durante also had a good run in 1:15:15. Richard P got a slim PB and Tim C is getting back to form with a 1:16 something but Kanser was well down on what I thought he'd run and nor was MC as quick as I thought he'd go.

Half's are a strange race. Realised today that you have to put a bit more thought into them that just "go out hard and hold on". Have bad stomach cramps now so will see how I pull up tomorrow.
(PS. HB - cheers for the photo. Thank god I hadn't realised how close Charlie Low was at that stage!)


5 comments:

Greg Cassis said...

Sounds like you had a tough race Tom (although still an awesome time). I have been out of action most of the day with stomach cramps also (and associated issues) since the race - weird. Maybe the Gatorade had some issues.

Somehow dissapointed and happy with a 3+ minute PB. Didn't stop the watch or look at the big clock, so I think it's more than 88 less than 89. At least now I'm not one of those '90 minute half runners', eh Serge ;-)

Remember today wasn't the A race for the year, it was a good practice run for GOld COast, and it sounds like a few lessons were learned, so it's all good (still a great time, but we're never happy for some reason).
See you this week hopefully

Superflake said...

Still a good run Tom. And as you said after the race it was an SMH race PB so that is good. You didn't drop your arms at all from what I saw so your form was still good to the end.

James said...

Good time Tom - you missed your free meal in McDo by 17 seconds though !!
I love the photo. I am slightly concerned by the limp wrist on the left arm. You need to go out to the pub and strengthen this with some left hand drinking only.

P.S. Finished the 10km in 38:30 today - well pleased.

David said...

I didn't know "Do a Paula" had entered the Runners vernacular but it made me laugh!
I agree with James, about your limp wrist, you might have four Kids but you might have turned!
Wish I could run that fast!

Mike said...

Great race report Tom, I could totally picture the race again through your description. Sounds like a tough slog out there, through cramps and on little sleep, but you still did an amazing time.

As for the limp-wrist – just start telling people that the latest wind-tunnel testing has proved it is aerodynamically superior.