Thursday, May 15, 2008

HuRTS Hickson Road

Back to where it all began, and an appropriate session given Sunday's race will involve 2 Hickson Road reps. I don't think I'll be running them as quick as we were today though.

5 x 1.2km (well, 1.18km and 1.17km to be exact). Reps went as follows:

3:34; 3:30; 3:30; 3:29; 3:30

That's averaging about 2:58 per km. Way faster than I've ever run them before. I think my best Hickson Road session prior to this was 10 May last year (again, just before the SMH Half) when I averaged 3:35s. Not as if I was on my own either. Another great crowd again today, similar to Tuesday but with Durante and Fats showing up too. Serg, Durante and I led the first couple with Tucks, the Judge and Charlie just behind. Serg and Durante really pushed hard on the third rep from the start. This is usually the make or break rep which determines how well the whole session goes. Clawed my way back to them with about 400m to go. Just held off Durante on the 4th rep then KMK appeared from nowhere on the final rep to keep them all honest. Loads of people running well - Durante was right there on all of them before holding back on the last, Serg still put in 3:32s on the final two reps and Kanser kept them all at or about 3:40. Tucks as usual loitered around the front keeping a low profile. Given how well everyone is going it will be interesting to see how the placings pan out on Sunday.

I've taken to washing my hands every half hour like a tourettes sufferer. Billy, Charlie and Maggie all projectile vomitted last night (I was amazed at how much Maggie must actually consume - whenever I feed her about 95% ends up on her face or on the floor), and Bec still has a hacking chesty cough. I'm contemplating just booking myself into the Sheraton for a few nights.

1 comment:

David said...

Ahh Tom, I love your paranoia! It's tough when your going so well!
But unless your also swearing at everbody it's more like a case of Obsessive Compulsive Syndrome.
Great running, crickey you might get a 70Min performance Sunday if the bugs dont get you first.
Good Luck