Saturday, May 31, 2008

ANSW State Relays

Arrived expecting to run second leg for the A team but found Glenn talking to Robbie on the phone who had been held up. So a quick shift of placings had me running first, Jeremey second, Glenn third and Robbie (when he arrived) last. I was pleased with this as I'd far prefer to run a race than a time trial.

The start of the race was like running x-country as a 10 year old. Up came the elbows and the first 200m was a mad sprint. Settled into quite a quick pace - had no idea how to pace myself for this so the intention was to go out hard and try to hold on. Didn't recognise anyone around me but by the second lap I could hear people barracking for Serg behind me. Started to struggle up the hill in the far field and was waiting for Serg to surge by. He did so just before the 3km mark with another bloke (who turned out to be Earl O'Brien). I latched on to them but struggled up the hill to the top of the course. Serg established about a 4 second lead which he maintained to the finish - just failing to catch Shannon Delaney.

So generally pleased - the time was good (about 12.32 - 32 seconds quicker than last year) but slightly disappointed not to have been able to hold onto Serg up the hill. Typical given recent training that I should finish one place behind him (9th to his 8th).

Not idea of any other times yet, although Durante said he ran 12:53 which is great running for a time trial. Great crowd in attendance - all the top names in NSW. Striders came 5th.

1 comment:

Superflake said...

Good run Tom. Better get out and do some hill reps then if Serg surged past you on the hills.