Tuesday, May 13, 2008

HuRTS 45mins Fartlek

1min quick, 30 seconds slow. Managed to program my watch this morning to beep alternately on 60 seconds and 30 seconds, which was very useful. Did waste about 2 hours of good billing time trying to achieve this though.

Huge crowd today, probably a record turnout. I counted 23 starters. Not sure why everyone was so keen on this particularly tough session and far fewer than 23 actually finished it. Notable absentees were Fats and Durante. I expect the latter was probably playing Badminton or mixed Netball. Perhaps he was reading about the Central Governor theory in order to engage in intellectual conversation with Kanser.

I set off quickly with Serg in order to spread the field a bit to avoid any disasters running down Art Gallery Road. We started at the Stone Pillars today as it's quicker for most people to get there from work. Given the first 2km is all downhill, it makes for a very quick start. We were quick also because of the large group of us upfront, including Serg, Tucks, Charlie, the Judge and Phil D. Serg, Phil and I largely took it in turns to push the pace. Reached the turnaround just short of the end of the Hickson Road rep when Phil D dropped out. It was then a war of attrition trying to get back to the start in the remaining time. The Judge dropped off at about 32 mins, Charlie at just before the Opera House, we went through the 10km mark in 34:35 (this is including the slow bits - would have been a PB until 2 years ago) then Serg dropped off at 11km complaining of an injury (hope it's nothing serious as he's starting to get quick again). Which just left Tucks and me, Tucks having been quietly hanging around in the background for most of the session.

We continued pushing the pace just failing to get back to the Stone Pillars in the 45 mins. All up, 13.09km at an average pace of 3:27 per km. The fast stretches were run between 3:10 and 3:15. On my very basic maths, that makes the slow sections averaging 3:59 per km.

One of my best sessions of the year. Felt very comfortable until the last 5 minutes. Looking forward to Sunday morning now. Tucks will be strong though.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tom went solo this morning doing the 45mins Fartlek to mentally discipline myself as that apparently is a weak point of mine.

I also managed to get a game of mixed frisbee in at lunchtime

Dura

Superflake said...

If it was that good I'm expecting a 69:xx from you. I guess Tucks had a remarkable repair of the calf strain?

Tucks said...

Hammy is pretty god now, my plan was to hang on at the front for as long as possible to test it out...seems it went better than expected.

Anonymous said...

68min equivalent session. Good luck for Sunday.

Given your run at State 10km, I hope you now realise that you can run as fast as I think you can!

As for me, I am running more and more. Training smart instead of hard. Running up to 20km with not much damage to speak of. Hopefully a few races over summer and then some serious running in early winter next year.

PB