Saturday, April 28, 2012

Novice 10km Cross Country

First up was watching the kids in the 2km (after watching Tucks against the youngsters in the 4km). They went off quicker than our race and then waited patiently for Bec and Billy to emerge from the woods for the final 150m. Had no idea which of them would come out on top given how close they are in training. It turned out to be Billy finishing really well in 39th place (he's got another 2 years in this Under 12's age group) with Bec coming shortly after in 61st. Great run by them both and they were high as kites - bodes well for School XC next week.

I did a warm up of 3km running the course with Richie P, Eoin, Fats, Sam Green, the Twins and Ray. The ground was in perfect condition - nice and bouncy with only 1 mud patch although it was pretty warm at 23C. Quick catch up with Keith B, Kanser, Nick B and Flakey (Striders had a great showing) and we were off.

The usual fast start tussling for position with a bunch of youngsters gapping Keith and I early. I basically worked with Keith for the first 5km taking turns to reel in a few of the kids in front. After catching Mitch Dean at 4km I worked out we were in 4th, 5th and 6th places. Nick Bellemore then came past and started to push the pace a bit so I went with him with Keith seeming to drop off. It stayed like this until the final small loop (8km) when I made an effort to break free. At this stage Sean Williams shouts from the side that we're fighting for 3rd place. Was a bit confused as I could see we were 4th but it turns out that the 3rd place runner was some triathlete called Chris McCormack who pulled out shortly before the end (obviously doesn't have much endurance). Kept on trying to push the pace but could see another shadow had joined Mitch and I. That shadow came past at 9km and it was Tim Cochrane. I was still feeling pretty good with something in the tank so just followed Tim before emerging from the woods and starting to sprint. About 100m later, I realised I'd gone far too early and could hear Tim and Mitch catching up again. Then I hear the 5 kids screaming at me to sprint, so I go again and just give it everything until the finish line. Really chuffed to get 3rd in 33:01. Keith, Tongey and Fats finished shortly after to guarantee Striders the team win so a great day all round.


Team winners.

8 comments:

David said...

Nice one Tom!

Easy Tiger said...

Well done Tom, do you know who won novice and the 4km, Milosevic or Liddy?

Unknown said...

Brad won the 4km in 11:53 with Liddy a few seconds behind. Didn't recognise 3rd and 4th but Tucks was 5th in about 12.25.

David Mainwaring won Novice in 31:09 ahead of Jesse Beadman in 32:14. Very good time by the winner as Russ Chin only won a competitive invitational race in 31:39 a few seconds ahead of Matthew Cox and Josh Johnson.

Easy Tiger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Superflake said...

Great run Tom. Congrats on the medal and the team win.

Easy Tiger said...

Thanks Tom, good run by Beadman, I thought he was more 400/800m. Well that's what it felt like when he blew my doors off in that 800m at Blacktown, wooshka!

Charlie said...

Well done Tom. I cant believe you ran in those cut off jeans.

Anonymous said...

I love the comment about Chris McCormack being 'some triathlete'... Nice work Tom. Todd