Sunday, June 08, 2008

Striders 10km - North Head - 10th in 33:00

Well, it was all set up but I was just a bit mentally weak. Had a telling conversation with Serg afterwards where he said he got to 7km and thought; "it's just a 3km rep from here". I got to 7km and thought; "if I just hold this pace I shouldn't be in too much pain".



Set off sensibly with Tucks. I didn't wear a watch and heard only one split - 1st km in 3:10 which was good. I just ran with Tucks and one other chap for the first 4km - Serg having gone off quick with the large front group and having dropped off the back. Then between 4 and 5km up the hill Tucks dropped me and closed in on Serg. From then on I was by myself. I found I was running quick at times but obviously losing concentration and dropping further off the pace at others. I finised with a quick last km but without a clock at the end I had no idea what time I had run. To discover I missed out on a 32:xx was disappointing - I'd have done it if I had a watch on. Most disappointing thing though was not being able to push myself into the pain zone - finished feeling as though I hadn't given 100% which I hate.



Lessons learnt were:



(a) wear a watch - always seem to end up by myself and the watch is the only way to keep things honest in those circumstances;
(b) need to introduce more tempo runs. Interval work is great but tempo runs teach you how to endure pain;
(c) start working my Wednesday run more, either through marathon pace work or length or both. I feel as though I'm wasting it at the moment.

Some great runs by the HuRT squad. Particular mentions to Kanser on his 34:15 pb - a great run meticulously planned and perfectly executed. Great to set a target and see it through. I knew he was on for a big one based on his pre-race nerves. KMK had a great first ever 10km in running 34:07 and Mat Kaley ran 33:50 - a 70s improvement from Lane Cove. Serg showed great bottle to fight back from being dropped by Tucks at 6km.

No comments: