Sunday, June 15, 2008

Long Sunday incorporating Mini-Mos (6th in 34:39)

Ran to Mosman (7km in about 31 mins), quick few strides then ran the Mini-mos. Strangest start as the preferred runners had acres of space. A few stars (Marty Dent, Scott Westcott etc.) and then me. Set off quite quick just behind Jeremey Horne (Tom Crasti going off even quicker with the real guns) and went through the first 2kms in 3:08 and 3:17. Then the hills appeared, the wind started to blow and being in no-mans land, it was just a case of trying to keep it honest against the watch. Clocked 4km in 13:30 and 6km in 20:24. Went the wrong way a couple of times, once when Tim C who was doing the Striders STaR shouted out to me. I was doubtful of the previous turn so stopped, started to run back then realised I was right the first time. The marshalling was very average, at the next turn there were two ladies who were facing the wrong direction accepting a cup of coffee when I approached - I had to shout out to them to work out which way to go. KMK was getting closer as a result of this. Very hilly final section to finish 6th in 34:39. Worst 10km time in 2 years (first time over 33:30 in over a year) but in the context of a tempo run in the middle of a long Sunday run it's not too bad.

After the race I ran for 7kms to the pick up point for Bec but received a call from Kirst saying she was still ill so then ran home. Very tired when I eventually got home - a little over 30km in 2:05.

1 comment:

silverfox said...

Hi Tom

I just picked up your post from the the mosman cr thread - that is a great result mate. I reckon that run more than any other will do you the world of good with gc half in mind. Everything else will be easy. Keep on keeping on mate and hope to catch you soon.

cheers Nick B