Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Long Wednesday run to work

19km run to work via Queenscliff lagoon with the usual 4 marathon pace stretches. This run was my bread and butter last Spring and I'm sure it was the reason I ran a good Sydney Half. I did it every Wednesday during August, September and October - basically as a punishment session following a disappointing City to Surf. My quickest time back then was 82:09 (and never varied more than 90 seconds from that). Today I ran it in 78:57. This is my problem at the moment. The training seems to be going really well but the performance in the races just doesn't seem to back it up. I'm hoping this is because I haven't been tapering and that the right preparation for Gold Coast will put that right.

Beautiful day this morning - finally the rain has cleared and it was bright blue skies with no wind. Felt very tired - particularly at the start of the run with recent training in my legs. Managed a very controlled run up Parriwi Rd - feeling better than I've done it in ages. But struggled on the quick reps along Military and particularly the Harbour Bridge.

1 comment:

Greg Cassis said...

I think you've answered your question on race performance in two different posts now Tom. 1st, you haven;t been tapering, so physically you have not been at your best for the race. 2nd, you haven't been tapering mentally - Pat Carrol once had a go at me because I called out to him at the end of Gold Coast marathon (I wasn't focussed enough), and Sean was also surprised when I waved to him during the 3km stat champs.
By the time gold coast comes you will be physically prepared (tapered) and mentally I think Saturday will be important in focussing (as much as you can whilst chasing after 4 kids) and mapping out your race mentally - where you will feel good, where you will hurt, and how will will deal with it and how you will finish.
WIll shut up now - sorry for the free advice - UNLEASH THE POWER WITHIN ;-)