Sunday, June 22, 2008

Back to Manly Flat

Took the last two days off feeling crook with a cold. Couldn't face another day off and the cold didn't seem to be progressing so decided kill or cure was the only option. Jogged down Suwarrow in the pitch black at 6am this morning and planned on running 3 loops of my flat 10km route getting progressively faster. The session worked out perfectly. 10km loops went:

42:50, 40:16; 38:01.

Felt better as the run went on. Normally I struggle from 20km but was running the second loop looking forward to picking it up again on the third. A real confidence booster - Thursday proved that my speed is OK and this session showed the endurance is fine. Just need to make sure I don't go mad in the first 3km at Gold Coast and a PB must be on the cards. Catching Dave Sweeney may not be so straightforward though as he seems to be flying in training.

Jogged home after for 31km all up. Shoulders and neck feel stiff now so just hope I haven't made myself more ill than I should have.

Beautiful day when the sun came up. Clear blue skies, cool and no wind. Manly looks great at this time of year without the crowds. Bumped into Pete Walker running with the pram near Shelley Beach.

2 comments:

David said...

Good to hear your feeling better!
You are the one 'flying in training' at the moment.
31K ! you are very motivated.
I'm guessing we will probably run very close at GC. I'd like to go 70/71
Cheers

James said...

Impressive Tom. I couldn't even manage your last 10km loop in race conditions !
You've inspired me to set up my own running blog so you can now read about your eldest brother's exploits in trainers.