Saturday, April 05, 2008

Striders 10km Lane Cove - 7th in 33:16

Picked up Richard Green on the way (shortly to become a Dad - good luck mate) and caught up early on with Tim C who I ran a 3km warm up with. Then did some quick strides to get the heart rate up and feel less shocked when starting the race. My worries about no-one turning up were quickly dismissed on seeing Tom Crasti, Colin Johnston, Robin Whiteley, Guz, Chris T et al. Quick chat with Tucks, Kanser, Timinerko, Darren and Pete and then we were off. Or at least the front crowd were. The first 8 shot off like rabbits. I ran through 1km with Guz and Ray (who was just on a run from home but decided to join in the race) in 3:14, 2km in 6:30, 3km in 9:49. At that point I was by myself, with James Swadling and some visiting runner from Belgrave Harriers about 80m in front. I could see James was slowing so just tried to reel him in. 4km was 13:19 and 5km (when I caught James) 16:46. From then on I was by myself and just trying to push as hard as possible to get close to 33 mins. I think 6km was 20:08, 7km 23:30, 8km 26:48 and 9km 30:08.

Felt great all the way back - the kms were just ticking by. Probably more suited to a half than a 10km at the moment though as I need more speed in the legs. Finished with a 3:08 final km in 7th in 33:16.

Good to Kanser back on track, running a 35:19 despite still recovering from a cold that has sidelined him for the past few days. Good runs also from Pete W, Darren and Timinerko. Chris T is obviously in great form running 31:52.

5 comments:

David said...

Hilly 33m16 = Fantastic Run!,
Well done.
3m08 last K!!!!
What's it worth on the flat?
Next race / Season Goals?

tja said...

very nice. not sure what time you were aiming for. but that sounds like a bloody good first race for the season

Superflake said...

Very good mate. Especially with the dodgey back recently. Should be a new 32 PB at State Road.

Unknown said...

Cheers Dave/Tim/Flakey. Next race is State 10km as I think I'm away for Novice. Season goals are:
(a) sub-33 for 10km
(b) sub 72 for a Half
(c) beat TJA and runsweeney in the next race we run!

Anonymous said...

Positive you will run closer to 32 than 33min by season's end. Good run on a tough course.

I am starting to flog myself on a few hills down here in Canberra with an eye on maybe fitting in a race towards the end of the year (Maybe JPMCC...we have one girl who would go close to winning it so we may challenge...and I am confident we fall into the category of eligible organisations).

Or maybe I will target ACT Cross-Country champs and try to get to nationals.

Or maybe neither.

PB