Thursday, November 12, 2015

JPMorgan CC - 4th in 17:16

This is just the best race.  Everyone in the HuRT Squad does it.  Everyone wants to look good in front of their fellow employees so lays it down.  Throw in a tough but fast course and you have the recipe for an awesome night.  I think I left the Cross, pizza in hand, at about 1am.  Actually, not sure about that.  Ask Birchy.

Spent the whole day as a nervous ball of energy.  Couldn't sit down for more than 10 minutes a pop.  It's always my second most unproductive day of the year, rivaling only the day after JPMorgan.  We had a bus laid on to take everyone from work but I just jumped on the train to Bondi Junction.  Couldn't face being trapped in there in traffic crawling down Anzac Parade.

Did a warm up with Barts, Emma, CT and Muz.  Then headed over to the start line for the warm up (including a few strides up the hill) and to meet a mass of HuRT Squad members.  You stand on the startline and, every direction you look are more members of the squad - acknowledging each other with nervous smiles and wishes of good luck.  Here's the front row:


We're held there for ages and I'm getting more and more nervous, just trying to collect my thoughts.  Here's me, Crossy and 2:28 man Darren Moyle taking it very seriously:


And then we're off.  I try not to blow my legs too early by sprinting the hill, but you do have to commit early in this race as there's limited time to recoup any early losses.  My plan from the start was just to stick to Barts.  I figured Jeff Hunt would be way ahead and that Barts would be leading the charge.  I hadn't figured on Quentin.  Anyway, by the top of the hill (it always goes on a bit further than I expect it to), Quentin, Barts, CT, Alex Rogers and myself have formed a little group behind Jeff who has put a big gap in early on.  This was at the bottom of the hill, I'm hidden behind Crossy:


Alex drops off around the 1km mark (3:05) so the group going around the Woolhara Gates is the usual CT, Barts, Quentin and myself.  Going down the hill we're side by side.  Through 2km (another 3:05) and CT starts to drop off.  I'm just tucked in behind the two big guys all the way to 3km (3:02).  At this stage, Quentin mutters something to Barts which I found out later was words to the effect of "C'mon, let's drop him".  And drop me they did.  Just as we're running past Coach Tiger.  Between 3km and 4km Quentin runs a 3:01.  I must have done something like a 3:08.  At 4km it's really starting to hurt and my brain starts scrambling.  I look ahead and see a white singlet running ahead of a black one.  I think to myself that I'm sure Barts was wearing a black singlet, not a white one and can't quite comprehend what's going on.  What is going on is Quentin continuing to apply more pressure and drop Barts.  He's run an absolute stormer and is now closing in on Jeff Hunt.  Meanwhile, I'm desperately trying not to fall apart.  Kick again I'm thinking at the Fox Studios Gates, attack this hill.  Not long before the final turn.  I see Barts running on the wrong side of the road and realise that he's goooone.  But too much to make up and too close to the finish.  Here I am at the Fox Studios Gates:


Finally turn the corner and try and lift for the line but I am knackered.  But dead chuffed.  Just nice to be back in the mix again after injury.

Then turn around to see everyone finish and the usual fantastic tussles.  Surprised to see Neil next in 14s behind me.  I didn't think the shorter course would suit him but he's run a great race to beat CT, Crossy, Hoey et al.  Then 18 minutes clicks over and these two come sprinting in, eyeball to eyeball:


Then look out for the girls.  Lucy Starrat wins it in a very quick 19:08.  Lexy Gilmour next, then Kirsten Molloy just ahead of Erika in 4th for the second year running, like me.  Just behind is Emma who had been in 3rd until 4km when she blew.  LJ was there at the end (in active wear) screaming at us all.  If there's anyone who loves this event more than me its LJ.  Love the fact she turns up regardless to support us all.

Behind Quentin my run for the evening goes to Charlie dipping under 21mins (20:58) and smashing his PB, taking some big scalps in the process.

Back to our marquee for the beers and banter.  The best bit.  The girls:


Then we have the boys:


The rivals:


Super Elle made a stunning sub22 comeback:


Some of my banking team at Allens:


Larger group of reprobates:


And now it's starting to get a bit loose:


And some real old timers reliving the good old days:


And today, 'Beckham' paid up on his bet:


And my favourite, Barts looking nervous and Quentin knowing exactly how it's going to go:



3 comments:

Unknown said...

As sh1t scared as you looked before the gun, I knew low 17s was never in doubt.

Thanks for hosting us in your tent too. I'll resist the urge to review the food offer.

Hoey

Unknown said...

Chicken sausages. Can you believe it.

Unknown said...

Simply brilliant. Did not want to run today but now lacing up (mojo gone with work). Cheers