Saturday, May 04, 2013

Sydney10: 23rd in 33:02

Well, in the end it was pretty much exactly what I expected. Kanser would accuse me of falling prey to the central governor.

Turned up pretty early after a good week of sleep and off the booze. Did about 3km warm up then some sprints and was feeling pretty good on the start line, albeit very nervous. Had a good few chats with all the crowd and it was a huge HuRTS turnout. Biggest disappointment was the absence of Andy who texted last night to say he'd fallen victim to the stomach bug he'd been trying to avoid all week. Just the worst luck as he was flying in training. I was in this position last year so know how he feels.

Gun went and it was the usual mad, slightly downhill, sprint. Conditions were perfect (cool and still) so knew it was going to be quick. I'd decided not to wear a watch though as I'd knew there would always be plenty of people to chase so no need to chase the clock. By 1km I'd settled in behind Barts with Tucks just behind. There were plenty of others around though, with CT and Nick Bellemore just ahead and some ranga chap I didn't recognise. Plan before the race was to stick to Barts for as long as possible, knowing the 3km to 5km section (slightly uphill) would be the biggest test. Sure enough, after the hairpin at 3.2km he starts to chase a few guys up ahead and I couldn't respond. At this point Tucks came past so I latched on to him instead. Stayed this way until the hairpin at 5km which we reached in 16:22. Renaud took this photo shortly after:



I fell off a bit here, then rallied at 6km and told myself to keep the effort up. Went past the group you can see above just after 7km with only Tucks coming with me. At this stage, Barts was about 50m up the road but was stranded so I thought we may have a chance of catching him if he started to fade. But at the hairpin at 8.2km Tucks started piling the pressure on and was inching ahead. I was just holding on at this stage, aware of some footsteps behind starting to catch. Tried to rally at the end, especially coming into the final straight when I saw the clock and desperately tried to get under 33, but it wasn't to be. Another photo from Renaud in the final straight:



Bit disappointed immediately after in not dipping under 33 and being 27s behind Barts, CT and Robbie, but in retrospect I think they all had great runs (when you see how close to Liam Ridings, Mark Warren et al they got) and I still managed to beat some very good runners in Hamish M, Kevin Robertson, Sam Walker etc. Timmy will no doubt take the piss for finishing just behind Tucks YET again but in truth I think he brings the best out of me in races and I'd have been slower if he hadn't been there.

Some great runs out there - Barts (a 1s PB with 32:35), Anna (big PB in 37:05 and taking Laura's scalp in the process), Richie P in a great PB despite being well the wrong side of 40 with a 34:24 but run of the day for me was Mr Ace running 36:00. Also dead chuffed to see my Sunday run buddy Macca defy all the doubters and prove once again that racing is very different to training in running 35:13. He'll be on a steep upward curve from here.

Nice warmdown after with a bubbly MC, J-Fen, Mr Ace and others. The estimated times were pretty accurate - actual results next to the predicted times in yesterday's post. A bit controversial, but I reckon this course is longer than in previous years. The 5km hairpin is closer down Olympic Boulevard, but the 3.2km hairpin was placed much further down the road - the difference being that you run the longer 3.2km hairpin twice but the shorter 5km hairpin only once. That said, I reckon it's an accurate 10km now - despite everyone's Garmin readings.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agree. Great race mate. JF

Tim said...

Great effort Tommy H, looked strong and things must be on the improve......... whittling down those 8 seconds, and now only down to 4?
Well done.

David said...

Tremendous Race Chairman congrats.
Superb predictions!

Anonymous said...

Great run Tom. I am happy with a pb as well.RP