Sunday, May 19, 2013

SMH Half - 15th in 72:36

Went into this race feeling pretty confident after some recent consistent training and generally being a bit more healthy than my usual debauched self. But then Saturday morning my stomach starts producing noises from deep within and doing somersaults and was just painful after I ate anything. But figured I wouldn't be eating anything before the race. In the end, it wasn't an issue.

Met up with Timmy early doors along with Kirst and Dan (her relay partner) before heading out to meet all the usual suspects. I love this race. There's a great atmosphere to it, and there always has been. Despite doubling in size in recent years it has maintained its feeling as a real runner's race. I also love the switchbacks where you get loads of cheers and encouragement (thanks for all those who shouted - not least Phil Dove who I could hear from half a mile off). It's why I always wear my Striders top as you get a load of "Go Striders!" shouts which never cease to lift you

Set off feeling comfortable running just behind Barts and with Jim Perrett and Robdog. I think Fats may have been on my shoulder too. They then edged ahead and by 4km I was running with Hamish pushing a good pace. Felt OK at this stage but not as comfortable as I felt last year. Going through Pyrmont, Fats and Nikki Chapple caught us as we caught Jim. This was my lowest point - Fats and Nikki looked really strong and I was worried they were just going to power ahead. But we managed to stick together as a group going through 10km in 33:56. Then coming back along Hickson Road I first felt good leading the group, then felt as though I was barely able to hang on. When we got to the nasty hill at the squashed car roundabout I drifted to the front and started to feel more confident - it's always the hills where you can tell how people are feeling. But if that's the basic gauge, Nikki was feeling good as she powered up onto Kent Street with me just trying to stick to her heels thinking it may be hurting Fats and Hamish. We overtook Neil Pearson at this stage with Barts next in front. Any thoughts of Fats being done were dispelled when he reappeared at the head of the group going along the Cahill Expressway. It was at this point last year that I began to unravel so made a real effort to keep it strong up Macquarie Street and then attack the loop around Mrs Mac's chair. Sensed Fats had dropped a bit here so really started to push hard but it hurt. The little pinch before the Art Gallery made my legs a bit wobbly so tried to shorten the stride and increase the cadence. This seemed to work as suddenly Nikki dropped too. I may avoid being chicked! Hell, that was enough to start sprinting. Wait there, I've gone too early. Bugger, I'm starting to fall apart. Then I see the line, see the clock and it looks as though I'm going to run 72:38. I like the symmetry of that, but the results give me 2s quicker. I'll take it. It's an SMH PB. It's probably a Half PB as I'm fairly sure the Blackmores was short in '07.

Happy with the form. Stronger in the back half than last year (where I went through 10km in 33:37) and last year I was further down the marathon training plan. Would love to give the Half PB a shake at Gold Coast.

Some great runs out there today in perfect conditions. Robdog smashed it with a mid 71. Barts got my PB with 72:08 but Eoin was my run of the day in 76:50 closely followed by Justin B in 77:20. Also great to see RP with another PB in low 76. The Tiger lost his bet going down by 7 minutes against the 6:40 on offer. I'll claim some beers from Andy C too...

The Churchill/Sands trophy looks to be England's again. You can expect a few more photos while testing Fats' homebrew this afternoon, but here's a starter.

CHAMPIONES!

5 comments:

Easy Tiger said...

well done Tom, very consistent. You've left me in a bit of trouble though, I was counting on that $50, the razor I've been using to shave my bum hairs to save on toilet paper needs replacing.

Double or nothing on sub 78min at Gold Coast, as in $200 or nothing?

Anonymous said...

Too much info TIGES! You can take the boy out of Penrith...

Unknown said...

Tiger, I'll agree to roll the bet but on different terms. If you run sub78 we both walk away. If you fail, you have to run C2S in that Dora the Explorer suit I saw yesterday,

Unknown said...

Good work Tom, damn you Garry I was sure you had this in the bag. Now I know why I never back horses!

Easy Tiger said...

i don't know what a dora the explorer suit is but you've got a deal.