Thursday, May 23, 2013

HuRTS 1.2km reps but, shock horror, at new location

Given it was teeming with rain, I made the call to shift to Farm Cove knowing it would be deserted (and having G-Mapped the distance from the Opera House Gates to the bottom of the hill at Mrs Mac's Chair at a convenient 1.29km).

I would like to note for posterity the hardcore of the squad who showed up for this session on the coldest and wettest day that Sydney has produced in living memory:

"Young" Timothy Lindop
John "Bartles" Bartlett
Jonathan "J-Fen" Fenton
Indrajeet "Jeet" Aich
Michael "MrAce" Race
Andrew "Skippy" Heyden
James "Kenny" Everett
Charles "Warrior" Dalziell
Damien "Damo" Sullivan
Paul "Paul" Birch
John "JB" Bowe
Ben "Bob" O'Brien
Anthony "Muz" Murrell

and Yours Truly*

*[let me know if I missed you out]

If they ever read my blog, let them say that I walked with giants. Men rise and fall like the winter wheat, but these names will never die. Let them say that I lived in the time of the HuRT Squad, tamer of chicks. Let them say I lived in the time of Conway.

I wore two short sleeved tops as I was cold. All this meant was that both layers were soaked through within 5 minutes, weighed a ton, and I was still cold. No hanging about today so we were off. Barts was taking it easy so I ran alone at the front other than rep 2 when Muz stayed just behind most of the way and the final rep when Barts helped me out and stretched his legs. Rep times were:

4:00, 4:00, 3:57, 3:57, 3:56

Works out at about 3:06 to 3:03 pace. Legs felt pretty heavy but breathing was good. Pleased to have got it done as those VO2 max sessions always test you mentally. Longish warmdown for 11km all up.

HuRT Squad stretching out around Farm Cove today:



5 comments:

Charlie said...

Tommy "Bolt" Highnam huh?

Johnbo said...

That is me on the right. Pity I am just out of shot ....

Anonymous said...

You should have a word to the Botanic Gardens Trust. Those names ought to be etched in stone at Farm Cove
-Kenny

Anonymous said...

Gold! Although any etching may be a controlled action under the EPBC Act if in the opera house buffer zone...

Charlie said...

Chairman's Speech:

This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Thursday HuRTS shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remember'd;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his sweat with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in offices now a-lunching
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That ran with us upon this 23rd of May.