Monday, January 11, 2010

2010

2009 was a bit of a write-off. Effectively injured all year, but only accepting it from the end of March onwards. Racing back too quickly and picking up a new, equally serious injury. Hope to learn from my mistakes. I still managed 2 PB's, albeit soft ones, with 15:39 on a hot windy day for 5000m and 3:53 for the Six Foot Track.

2010 is starting well. I'm back running pain free but still just gently. I'm still "aware" of both injuries and am worried that if I pick up the training too much either could recur. However, I've felt that way about my left knee for the past 20 years and managed to live with it.

Tasmania was fantastic. Flakey - we missed the Hobart Marathon by a few hours as we flew out yesterday morning at 10am. Would be keen to head back and race in Tassie in the future though as it's a beautiful spot and seems to support running - we caught the tail end of a 5km race in Hobart on our first day there on 28th December. I managed 7 runs in the 2 weeks, gradually increasing the time on feet to 56 mins a couple of days ago. It's bloody hilly though. I seemed to encounter a huge hill on every run I did. Best place for running was Land of the Giants near New Norfolk (Russel Falls) where I ran for 5 minutes straight up a road and then found some gently undulating forest trails for the next 45 minutes. Also enjoyed sand-boarding on the Henty Sand Dunes in Strahan - I'd run up the dunes after each ride which was great for the glutes.

Will post some photos soon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Tom, Welcome back and Happy New Year to you. Yes 2009 not the best of years for you, and i suffered as well because of it - my bank balance took a turn for the worse as i couln't win any money on you with Dave Kane:)(saved Dave a few bob though)
Catch up with you soon
Cheers
Tim

Tucks said...

I see you've reset the head-to-head scoreboard. First up 6 foot?

Charlie said...

Hi Tom, Glad to hear you are back. MC said your were out today and looking good (I assume he meant running wise). He also said you are aiming to do 6 foot. That is great to hear.

See you out there.

Superflake said...

Happy New Year Tom. Half was good fun without the crowds. 2010 will be a good year.