Sunday, September 13, 2009

Tough

If I'm being honest, I haven't enjoyed the long Sunday run for about a year. Injury worries seem to be exacerbated when running slowly, so it's always a slog. So I wasn't looking forward to today. Adductor was still sore, chest has been very sore and I'm always very aware of the achilles. Plus I had a sore throat and slight headache with a cold coming on, and the only time I could get out was 1pm on a beautiful sunny day with the temperature up at 28C. However, there was no way I was going to miss it after last weekend's effort.

Despite that, I felt great from the word go. I ditched the crap shoes yesterday and bought a pair of Brooks Infiniti and they felt brilliant. The adductor was still sore for the first 10km but gradually eased over that time so that I could barely feel it. I was running just under 4:30's but felt bouncy and was enjoying it. That was, until I hit 20km. I was then desperately thirsty but the nearest bubbler was 3kms away. I slogged my way there with the kms blowing out to 4:50's and then ran from bubbler to bubbler hovering around the 5:00 per/km mark. Eventually got back covering 28.69km in 2:13:06 (4:38's). Could barely stand up, shivering and alternating between feeling hot and cold. Tried to drink but immediately felt sick. I think I've just made the virus a lot worse than it would otherwise have been, but wouldn't have done it any differently. At least I didn't pull out.

No comments: