Friday, August 07, 2009

Tim Crossland

I remember turning up to the Gateshead International Cross Country in 1989 (where they had junior races as well as the selection race for the IAAF World Cross Senior team). Given it was just another North East local race, I assumed it would be a straightforward win. But there was this bloke on my shoulder the whole race who I couldn't seem to drop. Eventually it came to a desperate sprint finish which I won on the line. Turns out he was called Tim Crossland and he'd travelled up from somewhere like Manchester for the race. I was looking at English Schools T&F Finals results and noticed he came second in the 1500m in 1990. The winner was Toby Champion, who won the junior race 2 years before when I ran it. Steve Scott, another North Easterner who I raced regularly, was 5th. There's a load of familiar names in the 3000m final that year too, although it looks as though Lee Morgan had a shocker. Interesting to see who came 7th in the Intermediate Boys 1500m Steeplechase Final. I didn't realise Charlie came from Cornwall. No wonder he can't settle down and get married - all this choice in Sydney outside his immediate family...

English Schools 1990

Today was a run through Centennial to see JLP in Bondi Junction (34:32), an hour of agony and then a very easy jog back (23:42).

Won't post before City to Surf so good luck to all the squad running. These are my predicted times. Hope people can make me feel guilty by smashing them:

Ben: 41:23
Tucks: 45:52
Kanser: 47:53
Andy: 48:37
Cradock: 49:10
Enda: 49:11
Binfield Motors: 49:20
Big Timmy L: 49:59 (you better had mate, I want my $50)
Ray: 50:48
Fairfax: 54:59
Charlie D: 57:02
Conway: 62+

2 comments:

David said...

G'Day Tom,
Crossland sounded familiar to me so I googled him, think I was mixing up the name with the Crossman Twins who ran for Aldershot back in the 70's/ 80's/90's. Anyhow , Tim Crossland has had a fantastic career, check it out here; http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=339

Superflake said...

I think Tucks ran 50 after getting a bad stitch at the top of HBH. For me it was 56:36 and a 1:23 PB. Yeehah!