Sunday, September 23, 2007

Sydney Half Marathon




8th in 72:21.

Woo-hoo! Finally beaten one of Dad's PBs!

Felt great heading into this race but had a bit of a panicked morning preparation. The organisers have finally plotted a great course but they really need to sort out some of the basics. The queue for the toilets was huge, as a result I only managed to drop off my bag (another organisational fiasco) with 5 minutes to spare. So no warm up at all. Set off with the lead pack of about 8 and ran together until the far side of the Harbour Bridge when Tom de Canto put a sudden surge. A group of 5 went with him, including Anthony just hanging off the back. Struggled a bit through Pyrmont but checked my time at 6km which was 20:04. Realised things were going well then. Fortunately I was caught just coming onto the City Westlink by a chap and we ran together for the next 9km. Went through 8km in 27:00 and 10km in 33:51. Coming back towards the Anzac Bridge I was dropped and on the turn I could see Ray wasn't too far behind.

From then I just tried not to let the gap with Anthony grow while really being more concerned with Ray catching behind. I was still doing 3:23 and 3:24 kms between 16-18km so knew that Ray would have to be charging if he was going to catch. Relieved to get to Hickson Road as I know the route like the back of my hand from there.

Loved the course. Lots of long straights just to put your head down and get into a rythmn. The out and back route means you get loads of shouts of "go Striders" which really picks you up.

Fantastic run by Ray to finish in 72:37 - a PB after 13 years. Anthony probably just ducked under 72. Good to catch up with 26miles, Tim Lindop, Keith and Sparkie afterwards.

[Added some photos taken this afternoon of the kids]


4 comments:

Superflake said...

Congratulations on the PB. Good guess on the time on my part if I do say so myself. BTW you knocked off Uncle Daves PB of 72:33 as well. Well done! You just moved from 20th to 7th on the Striders all time list. Huge!

David Criniti said...

Noice! :-)

James said...

Fantastic Tom. I'm well proud of you !! I can't believe the speed you were doing with those split times and then carrying on for 21km !
How many actually took part in the race ?

Anonymous said...

top run mate
TJA