Wednesday, August 27, 2014

HuRTS Rosa 5km TT

The shame.

First we have CT pull out having changed the TT to a Tuesday to fit in his schedule. Then, with dark clouds coming over mid-afternoon, the heavens opening and wind picking up, Enda pulls out.  And he was only on timing duties!  I have to admit, when he sent the text I was secretly hoping we might all call it quits.  It was really quite depressing out there.  Even after driving Q, Renee and Jason R to ES Marks, we bought our entry tickets and said we could just take the obligatory photo, make up some times and pretend we ran. 

But run we did.  Watched the Tiger and Sam Strutt do a 2km and some sprints, then watched the Can Too runners crowd the inside 2 lanes just as we were about to start.  But start we did.

Funny old run.  Q took the lead as usual but to be fair I did share the duties more than last month.  Felt more comfortable this month pushing up on Q's shoulder when I felt the pace drop, which probably explains the slower time.  But I was obviously tired enough to completely confuse myself.  With no lap counter or timer (thanks Enda) I was counting the laps up to 10 and the final km.  Started to push the pace with a km to go, but then heard someone shout a lap time of 12:03 about 200m later which confused me.  Started to kick ahead of Q with 600m to go only to hear 13:18 being shouted out when I enter the final lap?  So I start to waiver, Q comes up to my shoulder and I ask him how far we have to go and he says a lap and a half.  Feck.  Here was me winding up my final sprint.  So I lose a bit of wind and just hang on for one more lap.  

End up with 15:46. Bit disappointed with the time (I've gone from 15:28 to 15:37 to 15:46 - 9s slower each month).  But it did feel more comfortable this month so maybe it's just a mojo or training cycle thing.  Q ran 15:44, Neil 16:05 and Renee PBed with a 19:03 but was disappointed not to dip under.  Judging by Q's watch, I think I ran 3:06, 3:10. 3:12, 3:12, 3:06.

So Quentin and I are 6:6 for the season.  At least we're not afraid to race one another.  Can't say the same for some other members of the squad...

Here we are:


1 comment:

David said...

Nice run Tom