Sunday, August 10, 2014

City to Surf - 25th in 46:11

I was fairly psyched for this.  After last Saturday's result, my sole aim was to hurt myself.  I basically wanted to be in the mix with Tucks, CT and Barts at some point of the race, if only to be able to contribute to some conversation in the marquee over a beer later on.  So we set off at the usual mad pace and at the William St tunnel I thought I must be ahead given how fast I was travelling, only to see Barts about 20m ahead and CT ahead further!  I was with Quentin and Ollie Lord, but down the hill to Rushcutters relaxed and stretched out and passed a good clump.  Robbie cameast though and looked super smooth as ever.  Caught Barts going down to Double Bay and was pleased to at least be in the mix.  Then CT was coming into sight and caught him over the hill before Pier Restautant.  Decided to stick by my rule to hurt myself so rather than tuck in I started to push the pace through Rose Bay.  We had a good group here and were travelling well but very quickly.  

Then Heratbreak Hill started.  I'd been pushing really hard and basically went lactic very quickly on the hill, watching Quentin and Ollie Lord just drift ahead.  I seemed to drop about 30s a km and seriously considered how I was going to finish this race, but was aware that CT and Barts hadn't come past so must be struggling similarly.  This race is hideous.  You go so fast early on, slow down massively up the hill then try to regroup and hold on as best as you can.  I regrouped going past Kincoppal and started running with Mark Warren, a top quality runner coming back from injury.  I knew that the moment I relaxed the boys would be catching me so every moment was spent trying to push on and hurt further.

Went through 10km in 33:13 and thought that they must have put the marker in the wrong place, but started to get excited about a time.  Then comes the long drag through Vaucluse/North Bondi where there is no one on the side of the road, Quentin is 100m ahead, Mark Warren is 10m ahead and I'm starting to waiver.  Told myself this is the moment to man up, so dig in again to catch Mark.  I'm with him by the downhill and the long sweep to Bondi begins.  Some chap from Box Hill Harriers sweeps past us at 12km and I'm thinking, if he's come past us so quickly, Tucks, Barts and CT are likely to do the same.  So hit Campbell Pde and put a huge effort in up the hill, pumping the arms with one final surge.  Catch another chap here, hit the corner and start sprinting thinking I can't let anyone come past now.  Hear Mikey, LJ and Elle screaming from the sideline for a final lift and cross the line absolutely chuffed.  

Turn to see Tongey, Tucks, CT and Barts all coming through one after the other and thank my lucky stars I didn't have to sprint in with them.   I'd have been desperate and not sure I'd have had the balls to make another effort.  I was absolutely spent.  The hammie just held on, did a jog along the beach with Q and Jamie after and had to cut short as it was too sore.  

Run of the day to Q.  Fantastic result and one none predicted.  Next best result for me was Renee's, running a 55:xx and almost beating Greta and Erika.  She's come on so much recently.  Macca and Fats also ran good PBs.  Crossy also had a great race, building all the way through to run a 47:01.  Also need to mention Sonya who ran a big PB in 57:xx and Lisa who dipped under the hour for the first time.

Then came the chat and the beers.  A great day.  Got a bit emotional when I got home.  I think the kids were a bit bemused.  Here are some photos.


Q and I at the start of Heartbreak Hill.


The boys post race.


7 hours later.  Things starting to get a bit loose.


4 comments:

Superflake said...

Great run Tom. Next year cut Quentin loose at Rose Bay so he doesn't get a free tow up HBH.

James said...

Fantastic race Tom. Really pleased to see this result. A good reason to get emotional !

David said...

A tremendous run Tom, love your ability to put it all on the line. Saw you on the TV - Sevens coverage was shambolic!

Tongey said...

You ran the downhills like you had skates on. At least the first few, before you were out of my sight...