Saturday, August 30, 2014

Fast Finish #2

Another rainy day.  Might as well live in Manchester.

Another great turnout, with Macca, Andy, Clarkey, Neil P, Barts, Ben, Quentin, Craig Mc and Justin all fronting up.  Pretty much all sub 2:40 marathoners.  

Pace was steady to start but after the first stop at Collaroy we were running 4:10's.  Not so muddy so we ran the path to the Narrabeen Track and back, making it 33km on the nose from the pool back to the pool.  Took a gel at the turnaround.  At Narrabeen (11km to home) the pace picked up, albeit thwarted every now and then by side road cars.  We had a nasty headwind most of the way home so adopted my usual position tucking in behind Quentin and Clarkey.  By Dee Why the front group seemed to be me, Clarkey, Neil, Macca and Quentin.  Coming through the hills of Dee Why I felt the pace drop (no doubt helped by the fact I was drafting the whole way) so I decided to push the pace to see who had anything left.  Quentin was just behind as ever and we had a bit of a gap at the top of the hill.  From here home we were pushing each other all the way, we the pace getting under 3:30's.  Last 2km in 3:24 and 3:16.  Final 10km was 35:20.  All up 33km in 2:18 odd (4:05 pace).  Clarkey and Neil came in shortly after with Macca right on their tails.  He's hitting some real form.  Then Andy and Justin.  Poor Barts continued the "woe is me" routine, but at least he's getting out and doing it.

With the run to and from home it's 35.5km.

Real confidence booster - felt great today.  Got a boozy conference this week though so will have to try to restrain myself to give North Head a good go next week.

3 comments:

Enda said...

I am not sure what is more depressing about reading this blog....hearing how well everyone is running or the fact that some of my loyal eastsiders have jumped ship and headed north as soon as things got rough in the East.... I have to say I know how poor old Barts feels but we will be back, no dynasty lasts forever and sickness will have to strike us all sooner or later. I think Macca will just fall short of my time at Melbourne despite his crazy mileage and fail to take the Irish record for the year, just because I am much tougher than him...

Unknown said...

Have you started drinking at Sunday lunchtime with Timmy?

Tim said...

The way he was carrying on this morning, i thought he had started even earlier than that.
Poor bloke's getting worse.