Thursday, August 21, 2014

HuRTS 3 x 2km

Or Hardcore HuRTS.  That session was tough.  3 x 2km off a strict 2 min recovery.  Given we ran 6:17, 6:10 and 6:15, that's the equivalent of running 6kms in 22:42 (3:47 pace) but including 4 minutes of standing around doing nothing.

Turned up today feeling pretty tired after what will be my biggest week in at least 3 months.  Looked like a very low turnout with just Timmy and Erikakaka there but I must have been early for once.  Slowly the masses arrived.  Mikey decided to split us up into 4 groups and then managed to insult the 4th group in his own inimitable smile ("You boys just run for 8mins then stop.  Actually, just go for 7 and a half minutes").

With Andy, Macca, Timmy, Jason R, Richard M and others going in the 2nd group, it left just me, Quentin and Clarkey in the front group.  Settled into the same pattern as ever, with Quentin taking the wind (against for 1st and 3rd reps hence the times) while I tucked in and Clarkey just behind.  Clarkey would drop off a bit at about the 1.5km of each rep so plainly we were putting in rock solid efforts.  I was knackered after the 2nd rep and wondered how I'd hang on for the third.  Q shot off fast, we caught him by 1km then it was an ugly slugfest for the final 500m with me on my knees by the end.  But that's what this session's all about.  With only 3 reps you have to give each one your all.  But being 2km you need to find some sort of rhythm or form for the mid kilometre as it's just too far to slug it out the whole way.  Great 5km training I reckon.

Long warmdown with MC, Clarkey and Jono for 14km all up.

No comments: