Saturday, November 10, 2007

State 3km Champs

2nd (in the "C" race) in 8:53:14.

Chuffed to bits with the time - one more of Dad's PBs gone, and probably his toughest one to boot. Started off just tracking Tucks for the first 2.5 laps at the front of the main group. There was one bloke from Sydney Uni who had set off like a hare (he must have run a 65 second first lap to our 69). Went through 800m in 2:22 and I think Tucks must have upped the pace in the third lap so that it was the two of us chasing the Syd Uni bloke and splitting the main group behind us. Did get any more splits after that until 2km which we went through in 5:58. I knew at that stage a sub-9 was still on so I think I pushed ahead for half a lap (it's all a bit of a blur now) before Tucks took on the chase of the leader with 2 laps to go. I knew I just had to hang on to be dragged around to a good time and that if the elastic broke it would all go to pot. Tucks overtook the leader at the bell and I overtook him down the back straight. I was feeling lactic at this stage but knew I still had a bit of a sprint so just tried to claw back the gap between us before kicking again down the home straight. I got to his shoulder at about 50m to go and was convinced I was going to win but he had enough to respond and beat me by a yard.

Great runs by a load of people. Durante ran 9:03 in the B race and I'm sure would have gone under 9 if he'd been able to run in the pack in the C race. Ray ran 9:07, Keith ran new >50 Australian record in 9:09 and Richard H ran 9:12.

Now for Wednesday night.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done mate, super running! Kanser

Superflake said...

Congratulation on breaking 9 mins and your Dad's PB. It was great to watch with Tucks and yourself leading the pack for all of the race and then running down the Syd Uni runner. Excellent.

James said...

Excellent result Tom. Well done on the PB and beating Dad's old record albeit by a measly 0.26 seconds !!

The race can't have been that hard though. That third place runner was 106 year's old - it's official:
http://www.nswathletics.org.au/answ/live/071110F123.htm

Did you have any support form the family on the day ? Wish I'd been there to see it.