Monday, June 15, 2015

Launceston 10km - 18th in 32:06

Crap night sleep on Saturday night.  Coughing all night and felt as if I barely slept.  At 5am I decided I wasn't going to race.  Then got up later and felt a bit better.  Also realised that I wouldn't be able to enjoy a few beers later if I hadn't run so decided to do it.

Freezing morning - 2C at 10am.  Did a warm up with the boys with a few run throughs and we were lining up.  Church clock struck 10am and we were off.  Had decided that I wouldn't sprint out of the blocks preferring to work my way in.  Bart's had the same plan.  Dozens were in front of us but we still went through the first km in 3:07.  Started moving through the field here and suddenly it was just me, Barts and some young chap.  Dave C was about 50m in front.  Overtook Master Sweeney at about 2km so he'd gone out very quickly.  We just shared the pace until 5km (15:50) where we caught a couple of other chaps.  Turning back for home realised that we had a bit of a headwind.  The 2 young fellas we'd caught were a bit annoying as one of them kept on clipping my heels as I tried to tuck in behind Barts into the wind.  So I'd get frustrated and try to push the pace on, before Barts would then resume.  Couldn't drop them though.

Between 6 and 8km we slowed a bit to 3:16kms which basically cost us the sub 32.  Coming past Macca's and at 9km there's only 4 of us.  We hit the little bridge over the river and I realise everyone must be hurting as the pace drops on the little rise.  So I wait until we turn the final corner and then just kick past for home.  I seem to be clear!  Could it be this easy?  I see the clock ticking towards 32mins and realise I'm going to just miss.  But he comes the line and at least I've beaten Barts. But oh no, who is this white ghost drifting past me with 10m to go?  Noooooooooo!!!

So a little disappointing but with a final km of 3:07 the strength was there so all good for GCM still.  

Then we went in search of brekkie.  Wandered into what looked like a Nighclub where the lady greeted us by saying they didn't have a breakfast menu and could only serve us a stack made up of hash browns, bacon, eggs, beans and some healthy stuff.  Duh.  'Twas magnificent.  This photo is for Hoey:


Matching socks and shoes:


Then we did a Boags Brewery tour where somehow LJ got a special hi-vis singlet:


And we ran into Master Sweeney!:


Dave:


Didn't realise he was so close:


The Blog's Most Valuable Reader:



Jeet:


Birchy:



1 comment:

Superflake said...

Congratulations on the PB Tom. Only 1 sec but that will do. You will have to think track running with Barts and stick your elbows out so he can't pass so easily. LJ is VIP everywhere Tom you have to realise that.