Monday, March 16, 2015

New York Half Marathon

Spent all day yesterday stressing about the prep for this race.  What should I wear?  Should I wear a watch?  How do the corrals work?  Will they have enough toilets?

On the last question I needn't have worried.  I've never seen so many portaloos.  Always one free.  Sydney could learn a lesson there.

In the end I wore my usual kit but did wear a watch.  Threw off my extra clothes into the donation bin at the last minute (a Tommy Hilfiger long sleeve top and a fleece - each bought for only $9.99 yesterday in Macy's - clothes are SO cheap here).

I lined up early and, after some podgy Mexicans pushed in front of me, started about 6 rows back from the front.  The siren goes and it's a bit of a scramble but I get away and into running ok.  An early hill sorts people out and we're through the first mile in 5:28.  A bit slow. But then the pace picks up as I pick up a group of 5.  Second mile in 5:08.  Km splits are all over the place so I give up on the watch other than checking mile (and 5km) splits.

At the top end of Central Park there's a cool section where you run along 110th street in Harlem, come around a big roundabout and back into the park.  Gives you a great chance to see the leaders (all Kenyans) and top Americans like Meb, Bumbalough, Tegenkamp and Ritz.  5km in 16:30 and I'm feeling good.  Then the big hill in Central Park comes, and it's followed by a load of rolling hills.  I come out of the park and our group has split apart.  I hit 10km in 33:40 and I'm floundering, wondering where it all went wrong.  Run down 7th Ave to Times Square (which is surreal) but it's into a headwind and I realise the whole length of the West Side Highway will be the same.  I'm feeling pretty low here, but then my saviour arrives.  He's like a Yank Hoey.  Someone to drag me through the second half.  I jump on his back and immediately we start catching and overtaking all the group who dropped me in Central Park.  Each one tries to jump on as we go past but drop off shortly after.  Down the West Side Highway and as Yank Hoey slows a bit, I take up the slack but, given its into the wind, my turns are shorter than his.  I keep on saying (to quote Farah) "One Mo Mile" before I drop off.  But then we're at 11 miles, I see Freedom Tower and it's all getting close.

Through some massive tunnel and I'm fighting hard here, thinking I can save something by getting a sub72.  Then out in the clear, more cheering by the NYPD and Firemen and over the line in 71:32.

Pleased to have recovered after I thought I was down and out.  A 70:xx is definitely possible on a good course in good conditions.  But this was an amazing experience and that's what I'll mostly take from it.  Everyone in the city supports it.  The hotel porter high fives you when you come back in.  Australia could learn from the enthusiasm everyone shows.

 
2nd Over 40:


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great running Tom - Kanser

Unknown said...

Great read, so close to your PB.
Mixed emotions on being replaced by Yank Hoey...

Superflake said...

Great run in the NY wind tunnels Tom. Gold Coast Half maybe sub 70?

Unknown said...

Great run Uncle Tom, genuinely sounds like a ripper few days, I can't believe you saw Ritz, I'm ridiculously jealous. You'll be flying at gold coast, fantastic time with all the hills and headwind.

James said...

Great race Tom and nice write-up. sounds like you're having a great time over there. It must be nice to run in the cold after the heat of Sydney !

David said...

Fabulous run Tom great time given that course, congrats!
May join you for the Half on the Goldie.