Thursday, January 01, 2015

Bairnsdale

Out of the tent and 10km along a riverside path in Bairnsdale that looked like it was designed by a runner.  Check it out.


Seriously, it was like that for 5km before I turned and returned.  Magic.

Year in Review:

Started the year with the plan to run a fast 10km.  This time last year I hadn't run under 33mins for 10km in 2.5 years.  So I was dead chuffed to get under 4 times and set a PB.  The other distance I raced most was 5km, what with Parkruns and the monthly Rosa 5km TT.  Found them really good for sharpening the speed.

So, 3 best races of 2014 were:

1. JPMorgan 5.6km.  Big PB and almost everyone was there.  

2. Launceston 10km.  Another big PB and went for it from the start.

3. City to Surf.  Another PB, almost everyone was there and although Quentin was ahead, i was chuffed to run well after coming back from Europe.

As usual, my best results come from races I really psyche myself up for.  On the downside, I was disappointed to miss another marathon.  It'll be 3 years since I last ran one when I do Gold Coast this year.  But London 2016 is now the big aim.  Other disappointments were not doing a great Half this year and missing State 3000m to have a crack at my toughest PB.

What I learned:

1. Improved diet this year made a massive difference.  Lost 3kg and ran PBs across nearly every distance without changing my training.

2. Speed works for me.  400s etc.  improves my technique as well as natural pace.

3. Glute/hammy strength exercises work a treat.  Improve technique and keep injuries at bay.

4. I went through the year almost entirely uninjured (save post Six Foot) and consistency of training makes a massive difference.

5. Ultras are not for me.

What to aim for in 2015:

1.  Marathon sub 2:30.  May not be Gold Coast.  May need to wait for London 2016.

2.  10km sub 32.  Tough ask.  Unfortunately the Harbourside 9.8km falls a week after Gold Coast.

3.  Half sub 71.  Not many chances, particularly if I do Gold Coast Full, so another tough ask. 

So there it is, another year done.  I think there'll be some big changes this year so will be interesting to see how it pans out. For now, I'm in a campsite in Merimbula drinking a bottle of red as the air mattress has a big hole in it so it's going to be an uncomfortable night.  But Merimbula Parkrun on Sat morning awaits, the first one of the year. I'm going for one of the newly announced Parkrun T-Shirts for 25 races completed....

Today's spot:

1 comment:

Charlie said...

Great year Tom and well deserved success. Good idea to take that form and knock off a couple of other PBs this year