Sunday, October 27, 2013

RunSydney 10km - 8th in 33:42

Ad the whole family including sister-in-law Sally out to watch this one.  Weather was warm and a bit of wind but nothing to complain about.  Did a decent warm-up, had a chat to Richie Roberts, the Saint, Bart and Barts and, when we were called to the line for the final time, I was just getting satellites on my Suunto so stood still.  Wandered down to the start and this official turns me back saying I've got to join the back of the field.  I look at him incredulously, tell him I'm seeded and he looks at my number and says I'm not because my name's not on it (I entered late).  No amount of reasoning works on this bloke so I look to the start line for support.  Barts starts looking at his shoes but thankfully Gary, Benny and Alex Rogers start waving their arms in support and the bloke lets me through.  Far out, had we gone off there and then I reckon I'd have gone through the first km in 2:55.  But instead we're held for 15mins.

Finally off and I'm feeling great.  Benny, Do Canto and Hintsa Mebrahtu shoot off.  I'm a bit further back and have to work my way through to catch Barts at about 2km.  From then we ran together switching places whenever one of us eased off.  Through 3km in 9:43 but 5km in 16:29 showed we were starting to slow.  At 9km we turned off Olympic Blvd  and suddenly Barts has gapped me.  He always finishes well and I didn't have any fight today.  Ran through the finish line with a token effort.  I could blame the humidity, smoke or warmth for the average time but I think too much drinking recently had more of an impact.  I should have beaten Barts today - he ran a marathon 4 weeks ago while I trained through.

Fantastic run by Bart M to PB in 37:13, easily worth 36:xx in better conditions.  He should really have been down for most improved in the HuRTS awards given he hadn't broken 40mins this time last year.



1 comment:

Tim said...

Starting to become a bit of a regular thing this 'Barts beating me' line :)