Sunday, August 14, 2011

C2S: 27th in 46:56

Drove in with Dickyboy and Ben with great plans to take my high caffeinated gel 30 mins prior to the race and run a stormer. Dropped my bag off in the luggage trucks and shortly after realised that i'd left my gel in my bag. It was pissing down with rain. I thought C2S guaranteed good weather? We all huddled near the gents toilets in the Domain and Timmy mentioned that he had a spare gel so I swallowed that, convinced that my race plans were back on track.

Lined up well before the start and the tension was the same as ever. I had Richie H and Timmy next to me so the mood was fairly light but soon enough we were on our way. Tried not to go too crazy down William St but what can you do when sprinting downhill in front of 85,000 people? Jason I and Bartles were in front, as well as the 2 leading ladies so I figured I was being fairly sensilble. Overtook them going through Edgecliff and noticed I was making a load of places on the hills. The same happened through Double Bay where I caught Keith Bateman. At this stage I could see a group of Tom Crasti, Truscott, Chadi Elashka, Anthony Farrugia and Charlie Low in front and figured I was going very well - all guys I'm normally well behind and yet they were in striking distance. I seemed to be struggling on the flats and downhills and going well on the uphills. At the start of Heartbreak Charlie pulled off the the side and I started to catch Chadi. Went past him at 7km and started to get pretty excited - i've never beaten Chadi before but started to concentrate on Truscott in front. I was now by myself and trying to hold it together but probably drifting a bit. At 10.5km Chadi came past again and I used him to drag me along. Some big chap came past on the long downhill into Bondi but then suddenly Chadi and he gapped me on the slight rise along Campbell Parade. At this stage I was suffering and just trying to hold it together. Finally at the turn with 300m to go I have a quick look over my shoulder and who should I see but Tucks! The f**king Burglar! Haven't seen him all race and assumed he was about 2 minutes back but there he is within 8 seconds (or "the pocket" as Timmy calls it). With 6-0 for the season I wasn't going to allow him to get this one so just started sprinting all out thinking he'll have to suffer to win this one. In the course of sprinting I caught and over took Chadi for a first time win over him. Ironic that it took Tucks behind me to make me do that. Finished just behind Truscott to get in under 47 mins.

Very pleased with the placing but a bit disappointed with the time. I felt great today - especially on the uphills and based on who I was running with expected something in the low 46's but when I went through 10km in 34:00 I knew it wasn't on.

Fantastic time afterwards. Fair few beers in the AAR Chalet then dancing in the Pie Face Chalet. All very random but part and parcel of C2S.

Some great runs by JF in particular in 47:41 and Timmy in 49:22. I lost a heap of cash on bets but well worth it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done Tom. Good result, nice to get through in front of tucks.

Roz said...

Nice run mate

Superflake said...

I tried to hold Tucks back for you as I was close to him before the gun. Good run.

David said...

46m49 according to Timmy really great running!
Cheers

Anonymous said...

Brilliant Tom! Great run mate. 27th / 85,000, speaks for itself.

And always nice to get one up on Tucks too :)

Cheers,
Muz