Sunday, August 21, 2011

Back to long Sunday

Caught up with Dickyboy and Ben at 6.30am at the ABC Pool for what I was hoping would be a nice easy run along some bush trails. They are both doing the 3 hour pacing job at the Sydney marathon so are planning on a few longer runs over the next few weeks. I'd jogged down to meet them at a very easy pace still struggling after last night's efforts, only for Dickyboy to set off like a hare at 4:10 pace. I asked what was going on, and he said they were planning on running at 3 hour pace (4:12's) but with some 5km intervals "a bit quicker". Hell, this was news to me. After struggling to keep up suddenly we were off on the first faster paced section. Started to feel OK at this stage. Took a magic gel ("Smart") at 10km and felt better again. The first faster section I was averaging 3:57's. Easy run through the bush next to Narrabeen lake and we were off on the second fast section (16km - 21km). Averaged these in the low 3:50's pulling ahead of Dicky and Ben. Fortunately, it finished just at the bottom of the nasty hill climbing out of Dee Why. Final quick section (26-31km) was basically Queenscliff to Shelley and back, but cutting back via Pacific Parade. Dicky was running really well at this stage and we did the whole section in 3:45's. Coming back from Shelley I started to get tired. Dicky mentioned that my old Geordie accent came out as I got more tired. I must have sounded like Jimmy Nail by North Steyne.

All up 31.89km in 2:12:26 (4:09's).

Great run by Wildman to finish 9th in the National XC Champs yesterday (thanks for the heads up Flakey). He's getting closer and closer to the big guns.

No comments: