Saturday, March 06, 2010

Striders 10km North Head

Woke up to find no wind but a humid morning after all the recent rain - similar conditions to last months race. Jogged over to the start, but having moved it to the car park at the end of North Head is much further to jog there than it used to be. I realised this about half way there when I'd already started sweating quite a bit. Caught up with Ray beforehand for a jog and we were off.

CT, Jan-Willem and another chap shot off and I was next, wanting to make an aggressive start. Enda was alongside with Ray, Thien Vuong and another. Basically ran with them until the turn at 3km when Ray and Thien started to pull ahead on the drag back up after the Stone Arch. After 5km Wayne Bullcoh came past and I let him go aswell. Lost a lot of time in the middle of the race between 4km and 7km - just don't have the confidence at the moment to push on through. After the turn at the Stone Arch for the second time I decided it was time to put some effort in so concentrated on catching Wayne. Got into a good rythmn here and pushed on past him between 8 and 9km to finish strongly. 35:28 all up. Ray finished on 34:58. A bit disappointed but it's still a minute improvement from last month so I can't complain. Body feels fine now.

5 comments:

Superflake said...

Good run Tom. 1 min improvement in a month is excellent. Keep at it mate.

Anonymous said...

I think that chap was me Tom. Been reading your Blog for a while, must have been via CR. Anyway, my race was a good first 2km (6:31), followed by a poor 8km. Humidity and an off day maybe. Was hoping for sub 34 but not to be. Gave up my 3rd spot at about 8.5km and was hanging on. I put the head down for one final effort exiting the last loop and upon looking up I realised that the 3rd placed lad had turned right instead of left. So I was back into 3rd spot. At this point my conscience got the better of me and I shouted over to him and slowed to let him past. So I finished in 4th. Close to my first top 3 and if it's going to happen I want it to be legit...

Good run from yourself. I've gone backwards from Homebush so you must be doing something right. Until the next time. (Beer)Matt.

David said...

Good progression,well done!

Unknown said...

Cheers guys. Matt - would be good to catch up before one of these races one day. Your act of fair play did not go unnoticed - I was chatting to my Dad (who was spectating) after the race and he had obviously realised what had occurred and remarked on how good it was to see someone do that.
I wouldn't worry about your time compared to Homebush - most people were slightly slower. Look at the consistent runners like Richard Green and Steve Jackson. Truscott said beforehand he was hoping to go under 33 and only managed 33:47. The only people who were faster were Ray and myself who are both coming back from injury and have had a good month's training, and Thien Vuong who set a PB.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Tom. Will have a chat next time for sure. Big week here, new baby arrived today (girl - mother and baby both doing great)! Plus we are relocating to Ireland in May after 10 years living here so lots to work through. So only a few races left in Oz bit will try to make them good ones. See you at Lane Cove (my home turf). By then I'll be chasing you. Matt