Saturday, November 01, 2008

Striders 10km Lane Cove - 10th in 33:42

Mr Durante will be kicking himself that he wasn't well this week. All started very well. Through the first 1km nice and quick but feeling OK running with Muz and Jeremey Horne after Uncle Dave had set off like a rocket. They then pulled ahead and I settled into a group of 3 with James Swadling and Saxon Moseley. We ran together with me doing most of the front running duties until 6km when my legs just felt dead. It was pretty humid out there today, but I think falling off at 6km was a result of lack of endurance rather than the effects of the weather. Certainly didn't affect James. It was exactly what I had told myself not to do before the race - falling off after all the hard work had been done. I was in no-mans land after that and ran slowly for the next 3km before picking it up again over the final KM. The annoying thing was that had I stuck with James and Saxon they would have dragged me back to Muz - James pipped him on the line.

KMs went as follows:

3:07
6:24 (3:17)
9:48 (3:24)
13:10 (3:22)
16:47 (3:37)
Don't know
Don't care
27:00
30:26
33:42

So until 5km I was ahead of where I was when I ran this course in April (when I did 33:16) and 10 seconds ahead of where I was last November (when I did 33:17). So I need to start banging out those mid-week long runs again. Or perhaps not, really depends on what I'm aiming for now. I guess in the long run it's the marathon next July.

Pretty disappointing runs by the rest of the HuRTS squad too - it's interesting that we all seem to run poorly on the same occassions - must have something to do with our training patterns. Steve was beaten into 3rd (just over 32mins) by Colin and Jeremey and Kanser was about 2 minutes slower than what I expected him to do, plainly still feeling the effects of the marathon. Muz ran a good time but given his time at 5km on this course (16:31) and the way he has been going in training, I expected him to be comfortably under 33.

Great run by Unc though - despite the furious first km he went on to run 32:30, beat CT and take out the Striders 10km series. Well done mate.

2 comments:

Superflake said...

Bad luck mate. I thought you would be faster too. Still comfortably again in the 33's on a hilly humid course.

Anonymous said...

Son if you want to run fast you need at least 72 hours between your last hard session and the race. Why do that thursday session? You young fellas have alot to learn about tapering. Rest and recovery is an important part of an athletes training and you should not neglect it.
Hope you have learned something for next time. Good luck