Thursday, November 13, 2008

JPMorgan Chase CC - 5th in 17:23


The best race of my season is thanks to Mr Durante. Was completely psyched for this race - couldn't concentrate on work all day. Bussed the large AAR crowd to Centennial Park and caught up with Muz, Serg, Durante and Steve beforehand for a warm up. Drifted off by myself to collect my thoughts then started the strides in front of the start line with what looked like a HuRTS reunion gathering. Lined up on the start line and, with about 10 seconds to go, the whole crowd gave a large cheer to Kanser who sprinted to the start line just in time.

My plan was not to kill myself on the first hill, so settled in gently to find Durante just in front of me with DC5 about 5 yards ahead. Stevie had set off like a hare and seemed to have the race won in the first 400m. The group just behind him was Charlie, the Horne, CT and Crasti with Muz just a little further back. From then on it was just a race between me and Durante. We dropped DC5 at about 3km and could see Muz maintaining about the same distance in front of us. Whenever I eased up Durante would force the pace and vice versa. As a result, we slowly closed in on Muz and a fading CT. We caught CT just before the Fox Studios gate. By this stage I was just hanging on, telling myself that I'd have done well to stick to Durante until 3km, then again even better until 4km, when we caught CT I was telling myself I'd just have to hold on for my first ever win over him. We caught Muz just after the Fox Studios gate just before 5km and Durante seemed to surge a bit which made me think it was all over. Just told myself to stick to them for as long as possible. We hit 5km - the three of us running side by side having dropped CT - and I knew I'd lose in a sprint finish so put on a surge just to be able to say that at least I'd tried my best. After all the hype before the race I couldn't believe that this was the way it was playing out - couldn't have scripted it better. Neither Muz nor Durante went with me and immediately thought I'd gone too early as my legs were starting to buckle but just kept on pushing to give it my best shot. Heard Timmy L shouting from the sidelines which urged me on and just kept on trying to sprint in desperation for the line. Was absolutely stoked at the end. Almost collapsed but turned around to see Durante being helped over the line having collapsed. He was whisked off to the medical tent and put on a drip for an hour. It was pretty warm and he'd taken Panadol earlier in the day which must have affected him (as well as his recent cold/flu). He was the sole reason I had a good race though - I'd have never got back to Muz if I hadn't been tussling with Durante and forcing myself to stick to him the whole way.

Got the following splits:

1km: 3:07
2km: 6:15
3km: 9:16
4km: 12:21
5km: Too busy worrying about Durante and Muz but about 15:30

I reckon the KM were pretty accurate. The first 2km involve a couple of hills whereas the third KM is all flat/downhill which explains the fast split.

Great race by Stevie to win it. Charlie did his customary sprint past the Horne to take second with Crasti 4th. KMK just pipped DC5 with both going under 18 minutes. Serg ran 18:30 to hold off Robin Whiteley. Kanser ran through his knee injury for something just over 19 to hand Macquarie the team victory (seemingly). Great to catch up with Richard P, Tim and the boys after and thanks to Flakey and the Tiger for the shouts while running.

Rest now before building up to GCM next year. Dicky High is a new recruit.


8 comments:

James Swadling said...

Blood well done Tom! That is a massive PB over that distance too. Top work on getting one over on CT. Congratulations mate.

JS

Dave Kane aka 'Kanser' said...

Well done mate....massive run! I'm backing you from now on :)

Superflake said...

Congratulations on the PB. Taking CT now that is gold.

Amanda said...

congratulations Tom - great result. Good photo too.

David said...

Wey ay Man!

Great run Tom, I can sense the enthusiasm pouring through the lines of your post.

Auz said...

What a bloody awesome result Tom. Great run mate

CT said...

Absolutely mind boggling performance Tom. This could well be the single best domestic performance of the decade not to mention enough to rival Haille's world record in Berlin recently. I know you were running well but the JP Morgan has well and truly established you as the new formidable running force on the Australian circuit.

Nah in all seriousness - well done, I could tell some of you lads were pumped and I knew 17:40 was about what I would be capable of at this stage so you stepped up and finished well. Durante almost did. Had it been 5.5km Tim would have lost his dosh.

See you at the start line Jan 22. Start laying your bets now gents cause I love being the underdog.

Cheers

CT

Anonymous said...

Congrats Tom on a great years running, I've enjoyed cleaning up on your behalf with Kanser and company - bring on next year and the Gold Coast, although it's already getting to stage where nobody wants to take you on :)
Looking foreward to 09
Cheers
Tim