Saturday, September 03, 2016

Striders North Head - 1st in 32:53

Well, as a Fathers Day present I insisted on the whole family coming to support this morning.  And it's a good job they did, as I reckon I only won it because they were there.

Nice long warm up having arrived early and saw a good crowd on the start line, albeit with Barts and CT running 3:30's as part of a long run and Neil just testing himself out following illness and injury.  But loads others too including front runners Scotty, the Vonk and Lewis along with Macca, J-Fen, Mike L, Brendon, Streck, Birchy, the Cap'n, Craig, Binfield, Darren and, from the ladies, Erika, Elle and Renee.

Started off heading to the front and soon became aware there was a group of 3 of us after the first km - Scotty, the Vonk and myself.  The Vonk headed to the front in the 2nd km claiming it was for a photo opportunity.  Otherwise I would lead other than when we came to a hill where I sensed Scotty was testing us out.  Tried to keep the pace honest as I knew that was my best chance of breaking away before the young 'uns beat me in a sprint.

5km in 16:20 but sounds like the pace was fairly consistent and we were slowed by the wind.  Up the false flat in the 6th km and Scotty again applies the pressure.  Get to the car park for the final time and I sense the Vonk is dropping a bit so try to push the hill at 8km but it's into the wind and, in any case, Scotty has the same idea.  Again, push along the long straight knowing I have to give it one final shot only for Scotty to come past almost apologetically for not taking the wind.  Is he taking the piss?!  Pretty much consign myself to 2nd at that stage.

But, after 9km heading towards the stone arch for the final time I sense I've got a couple of yards so turn the hairpin and give it my all, also knowing the kids and Kirst are standing at the water stop 300m up the road.  Can't let him come past now so just concentrate on form and give it everything.

Cross the line and I'm buggered.  That really hurt.  Didn't feel bouncy at all today, was a slog the whole way.  Maybe due to a bigger workload this week or just on a down cycle post C2S.

Watch as Binfield comes through in 4th marking a successful return to form and Lewis just behind.  Need to have a word with Lewis, he should really be jostling with Scotty and myself given his training form.  Barts, the 35min pacer, leaves poor old J-Fen for dead in the final km so that J-Fen cross the line solo with Elvis legs in 35:01.  Seriously, I've only seen one pacer worse than him but she wasn't present this morning.

Easy warm down with the crew then over with dozens to Emporio, ground central for runners' brekkie.

Scotty dishing out some punishment:

The crew's warm down, sorry cool down:


2 comments:

Brendan Fehon said...

Nice one Tom solid win. It was a race off the back of the 35 min group.

Barts said...

I take exception to you pacing comments Tom. and yes I was quite chuffed with my last km split. Fenton finished in 35:05 anyhow :)