Monday, August 15, 2016

City to Surf - 14th in 45:28

So the big dance came around again.  Got the ferry in with the Manly crowd but I wasn't much company - too nervous and focussing on the race.  Jogged up to the new Elite area with Q (a nice new addition, particularly the easier bag drop).  A few hellos, bit of a jog and some run throughs with Q and we're lining up.  One of the issues with such a big race is how long you have to stand around waiting for the start - about 20mins in this case.  I didn't really have a race plan other than to go out hard and push the pace early.  I knew that if I was going to beat Barts I'd have to have a lead on him with a km to go as he always finishes so strongly.

So I did.  Saw Kevin Robertson ahead going down William St so I knew I wasn't totally out of control.  Passed him before the tunnel and could see the leaders (other than Harry Summers who went off at a crazy pace) not far ahead so it was quick.  Tried to work the Edgecliff Hill and stride out back down to Double Bay.  Someone shouted out 3km in 9:30 which sounded right.  Then through Rose Bay and Phil Dove is on the road screaming in his booming voice.  He says I'm 15th but can feel I'm dragging a group of 4 or 5 behind me.  I assume Barts is at the back of it as I thought I heard Phil shout at his name shortly after mine.

Then Heartbreak Hill starts.  I've done a load of hills recently so felt confident of attacking it.  Surprised at how quickly some of the runners ahead start to come back.  Towards the top I see Vlad ahead so concentrate on catching him and do so just before 8km.  He responds so just sit in behind him and relax for a bit before pushing again at the roundabout.  This is always a major landmark for me as I feel when you turn right here that you're heading for home at Bondi.  I've still got 3 or 4 runners hanging on but see Keith Mc ahead so concentrate on catching him.  Do so on the 2 nasty hills before 10km but he definitely does respond.  Then comes the huge long straight before the hill down to North Bondi.  I'm now hanging on and saying "just one more km".  Keith gives some encouragement before turning on the gas down the hill.  I just can't match that but am still with the group.  We hit North Bondi and the new finish but it still involves that nasty drag with a km to go and my legs are now cactus and I'm in serious "hanging on" mode.  But the hairpin comes, I have a quick look behind and can't see Barts anywhere.  Woo-hoo!!  So I practice my 2-0 finger salute and cross the line looking like a nutter but ecstatic.  Have to avoid Keith Mc barfing on all fours (I think only Enda knows how to kill himself more) and turn to see Nick, then Q, CT and Hoey coming over the line.  But where is Barts?  Someone says something about stomach cramps which is really disappointing for him on such a big race.

Then followed an emotional call to Kirst, and many beers in the sun chatting to the extended HuRTS family.  Times seemed a little slower this year (not sure why as I thought conditions were fine) but great runs by Bruce (49:30), Q (who never disappoints when the big races come around), Toby in 48:24, Macca in 49:01 and Elle in 55:31.  Notice how they're all from NOTB?

Love this race.  Love the atmosphere and the fact everyone shows up.  And it tests every aspect of running - speed for the first 5km, hill strength, endurance plus you have to be able to run downhills well.  

Many beers followed.  Here are some photos:

Me and Bruce:

Timmy:

The stayers:

More stayers:

3 comments:

Enda said...

Incredible time Tom, resets the bar once again for the hurts elite

David said...

Super run Tom, Congrats

BeerMatt said...

Brilliant running Tom. You have to take this race out like a 5km and you look to have done that perfectly. Great to see you having such a strong year.