Saturday, May 02, 2015

Sydney 10 - 26th in 32:07

So, I picked up Captain Grumpy and Ireland's Undisputed No.1 at 6am for the drive over.  A few nerves in the car.  Macca was musing over how to take Jamie down and get under 34mins.  Justin was musing over how to broach the issue of turning the radio off.

Arrived to find the longest queue of all time to pick up our numbers.  WTF?  Why an issue this year? Never has been previously.  Eventually picked it up and did the warm up with Macca.  More nerves here with everyone seemingly in their own headspace to warm up.  But the HuRT Squad were there in force.  Enda, Timmy, CT, Barts, Quentin, Erika, Darren, Birchy, TKS, Jeet, Angus, Bruce, Craig Mc, Hoey, LJ (pacing) to name just a few.  Being an ANSW event all the other big names were there too and there was no risk of being stranded.  Just puts even more pressure on - no excuse to ease off.

We stood on the line for an eternity being introduced to an endless list of "favourites".  I was about 3 rows back and standing beside Milly Clark who, surprisingly, was not mentioned among the favourites, despite being 2nd in the C2S for the past 2 years.  I mentioned this to her and she laughed it off.  She wasn't laughing 20 seconds later when, in the sprint from the line, I accidentally stood on her heel and nearly pulled her shoe off.  Hope it didn't affect her.  I felt dead guilty.  But she still ran a sub35.  I'll apologise when we run past her around Narrabeen Lake tomorrow.

Felt magic in the first 2km.  2:58 for the first km and 9:20 at 3km.  We had formed a good little group of me, Barts, Alex R and others with 2 guys ahead (Matt Cole and Kieran Roche) to chase.  At 3km I started to feel a bit tired and struggled up the drag past 4km but towards the top the pace seemed to drop so I pushed on again.  5km in 15:47 and I'm trying just to relax.  At 6km we start to catch Matt Cole starts to push on so I just try to hang on to him.  Stays this way until 8km with the group just me, Barts, Matt and Kieran.  Then on the drag towards 9km I'm really digging deep and hear a shout from behind saying "3:30 and you'll get the record and bonus!", which can only mean the first chick is right behind me!  Holy Crap!  Now I really dig deep up the hill but Barts has 15m on me.  Into the Stadium and I manage what I can of a sprint to hold off Gwen Jorgensen.  Down the home straight and I see 31:5# on the clock - is it possible?!  No.  Clock was 5s quick and it had ticked over in any case.  32:07 behind Barts' 32:03.  Match my PB so I'm generally chuffed but tinged with a bit of disappointment not to get under 32.  I lost it from 8km really.  Just shows that to run a PB you really can't let up at any point.

Turn around to see people coming in - first Alex and Kevin Robertson in mid 32's and then Lewis, Hoey, Quentin and Eloise in the high 32's - big PB for Lewis which couldn't happen to a more deserving chap.  Was always on the cards.  Then Craig Mc with a PB in high 33's, Jamie running a minute PB to finish just over 34 but just in front of Macca.  Great runs by all three.  Enda will be disappointed with his mid 34 (basically with Macca and Jamie ahead of him) but good to see Bruce and Angus getting close to 35.  The NOBS smashed the SOBS today.  Darren ran a huge PB in 36:50 and Erika posted a great comeback run time in 38:40ish.  But where's Timmy?  Well, to be honest I expected to lose $20 today with Timmy having to run 36:47 or quicker but he only managed a 37:29. He was understandably a bit disappointed but there's no issue with his speed, he just needs to start putting the long runs in regularly and easing off the Saturday night booze.  Has worked for Darren.

Then who should appear all sheepish carry a 40min pacing flag?  LJ bounced up telling us how much fun she had pacing until we asked her what time she ran.  40:20!!!  Let's just say I count 11 people calling for her head including an Olympic finalist - and that's after she sprinted around the track finishing like Mo Farah in order to make up time!

Easy cool down with Barts and Jamie to cap off a good morning.  Then had to go to work so no ritual coffee and B&E roll unfortunately.  But, despite the registration blunder, this is a great event and a must do.


Erika, me, Jamie and Darren.
NOBS all.


Love this photo too.  Probably the two guys I've fought most closely with (usually unsuccessfully) over the past 18 months.

4 comments:

Enda said...

The "undisputed" Irish no. 1 is about the see how hard it is to keep that title. Everyone is out to get you know. Interesting how he was undisputed before the race having not beaten me over 10km in 2 years! Well done to the NOBs and back to the drawing board for the rest of us...

Tim said...

Congrats Tommy H, super result and run ..... although it seems the norm these days.

David said...

Great run Tom Congrats on equaling your PB hope you dont make it a hat trick!

Charlie said...

Well done Tom!
Choked a bit on the "easing off the booze" comment