Monday, May 18, 2015

SMH Half Marathon - 4th in 71:13

Yep, 4th.  Top end a bit thin this year!  But it doesn't stop the top 3 sorting themselves out and sharing $10,000 between them, and what does 4th get?  You guessed it!

Was very nervous in the lead up to this race and once again I had the musty throat, aching shoulders feeling in the couple of days prior which makes me think I'm coming down with a cold.  Particularly as Kirst has had the same all week.  But then race day arrives and I'm fine.

Got the car in with Q, Dicky and the Cap'n and met Burkey, Charlie and Jeet for a quick change and ablutions in the office.  Then to the start line for a quick warm up and we're off at the unseemly hour of 6.45am.

They changed the course slightly this year to add a hill at Circular Quay - up Young Street and down Loftus.  But we would miss the final out and back along College St near the end.  I figured I needed to hold back at the start a bit and not burn myself on this hill.  Motto was fast but always relaxed.  Liam Adams, Jeff Hunt and Matthew Cox raced off at the start leaving a battle for 4th place.  Sure enough up Young St Neil, Barts and some other chap gapped me and Alex and Mark W came past.  Then had to work a bit to get back to Barts which I managed by the bridges on Hickson Rd, with Neil still 15m ahead.  We caught him at the Darling Harbour bridge and I took the pace on a bit.  Did the loop around Fairfax, Barts keeps the pace honest and see Andy and Fats when coming back out.  Then the hills of Pyrmont and a quick look at who's behind on the u-turn where Lewis looks to be going well but Alex R is having an off day.  Then the best bit coming back out of Pyrmont to hear all the shouts of encouragement from everyone heading in.  I'm pushing the downhills but Barts, Neil and Kiei bloke catch on the flats.

10km in 33:20 (10s ahead of last year) but I'm still feeling good and keen to push on.  So I do and seem to get a gap in the uphill back to the flyover.  I try to push the advantage before the Slip Inn knowing there'll be a big crowd and more encouragement.  Along Hickson Rd and Coach Tiger is in exactly the right spot on a quiet stretch to say I've got a 50m lead on Barts and to push.  Travis is a bit further along shouting out then Pete Walker saying I've got 20s.  Then Tiger's there again on the hill before the Lord Nelson saying to keep the turnover quick and even running alongside (is that allowed?!).  Tell myself to keep pushing until the hairpin on the corkscrew as then you can look at the whites of their eyes to see who has something left.

It's OK.  Lead is solid, but I know how strongly Barts can finish.  Now the worst bit up Macquarie St where you feel as though you're running through treacle.  But the crowds are good and the finish is shorter this year and it's only a loop of MMC to go which we all know like the back of our hands.  But it hurts and I'm slowing but have a quick peek at the bottom and can't see anyone behind.  I think I subconsciously ease up here which probably costs me a sub71.  But finish with hands aloft in joy for one of my best races ever.

Lewis had a cracker and finished super strong for a sub72, smashing run mate.  Hoey ran a big PB for 73:01 but could go a minute quicker if he was more aggressive earlier.  Andy ran well for a high 74 and Macca always goes well on this tough mans course with a low 75.  Big PB by fellow RunCrew member Jamie in 76 and LJ surprised with a really good 82 just behind Darren in high 81.  

Won't mention Timmy but he captained home the English to retain the Cup.  Pictures go follow. 

Lovely breakie in Manly (Belgrave Cartel - great Mafia Eggs, Hoey) with Charlie, Burkey and Cap'n before crashing.


Squashed car, just before the hill with Barts and Kiwi behind.



Arms about to become aloft.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great run Tom! Back when I had a 4th and 5th I got a decent Seiko watch. Had to run 65 - 66 to get tit though. Maybe if they had better prizes they'd get a better field.

Unknown said...

well done mate. You can update your PB now.

Unknown said...

Ha Jamie! No where near the depth this year but happy to have you reading the blog. I do think they'd do better spreading the money like Launceston though.
How is your achilles and when are we going to see you killing it again?

David said...

PB's at your age!
Sensational, congrats!

Charlie said...

I agree with Lewis. Do the half at Gold Coast and break 70. Do your marathon in Melbourne.

Unknown said...

Great running Tom! Thanks for the shout out ;-)

Superflake said...

Great run Tom.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tom,

Achilles fluctuates. Never pain free but in the middle of a better phase at the moment. I sometimes get tantalisingly close to race fit then get a setback!

Disappointed I'm missing my best years in the 50+. I haven't given up on racing yet though!