Saturday, September 06, 2014

North Head Striders - 2nd in 32:47

So it was raining again.  And a bit windy.  Altogether pretty miserable.  The sort of day Michaels Durante and Conway would turn up for a race and immediately drive home again.  But it didn't prevent a big HuRTs turnout for what is traditionally the fastest Striders 10km of the year (ignoring State Champs). 

Fats, Andy, Barts, Clarkey, Timmy, Muz, Jamie, Justin, Angus, Ben, Jeet, Jono, 'Lil Jimmy - all there.  Girls were lighter on the ground with only Sonya showing from the squad.  Interest for the day was going to be seeing how Thurston would fare.  Standing in the toilet queues out pops Dave Criniti so Barts shouts out (having told me I should be going for the win) "Oh well, silver Tommy!".  Other guys up front were going to be Neil and Alex Rogers.  I didn't count on the latter being in such good form.

Gun goes and immediately Alex shoots off.  Neil, Dave, Wildman and myself follow.  By the roundabout we've caught Alex but he pushes on a bit.  Pace is very fast.  No idea as I'm not wearing a watch but I can tell I'm working hard.  At this stage I'm just wanting people to drop off to work out who I'm really racing, but Alex, Neil and Steve are still in the group.  Towards the far end of the course I'm struggling a bit and dropping a couple of yards off telling myself I've got to hold on.  Meanwhile Alex is taking in the views from North Head looking very comfortable.

Coming back up the hill I catch them again and gain a bit of confidence, knowing they're struggling a bit on the hills.  Stevie starts to drop a bit here - thank God.  At 3km I'd have put my money on him for the win.  At the turnaround at 5km it's Alex, Neil and myself clear with about 30m on Steve and Dave Criniti - argh, Dave!  If anyone is going to come home strong it's him!  But we're all still working hard.  See Clarkey and Muz going the other way, Muz is going well.  Then get a huge shout from Barts.  Fair play to him, never fails to give 100% in his support!  Then Fats and Andy then head down and time to work again.  Feel Neil dropping off here but Alex is relentlessly pushing on.  Near the far end of the course (7km) the elastic breaks and he pulls ahead.  Now I can hear Neil breathing down my neck.  Try to regroup and really work the hill at 8km.  From there just hold on and try to keep the form ok.  

Very pleased with the time.  Only my second time under 33 in a Striders race.  Stevie held on well to beat off Muz who had a very good run.  Great run by Sonya to take 3rd female.  But news of the day was hearing Timmy's time.  When we have a bet it's normally close.  Originally we said 4:20.  Then Timmy agreed on 4 mins, only to renege and finally agree on 4:10.  But it was 4:24.  He'll be disappointed not to have got under 37mins, especially with Jeet running 36:47.  So 4:10 was fair.  

Nice morning topped off with coffee and and omelette with the crew down in Manly.  

No comments: