Saturday, February 15, 2014

Curl Curl Parkrun - 1st in 16:39

Well, this morning we had scheming and shenanigans worthy of a Game of Thrones episode.  And let me tell you, I was playing the role of the upstanding Eddard Stark and Enda was the scheming Tyrion Lannister.  He has form with dwarfs too.

Turned up having driven the family there (Kirst still in hospital but more on that later) and did a warm up bumping into Enda, Macca and Birchy but found ourselves running out of time.  There was a bit of standing around going on so I popped into the loos while Enda with the hidden agenda hurries the starter to get going.  I wander out of the loo smiling ready to greet everyone with a bit of banter on the start line only to see the backs of everyone running away and my Dad shouting something along the lines of "Tom, you daft twat!".  Well, I was a bit pumped then.  I reckon I lost at least 10s and had to run across the rough ground the catch everyone up.  At 1km Enda was way out front with Big Mikey H still 7s in front of me (I was timing the gaps).  Still running angry I caught them at the 2km mark but Enda immediately just tucks onto my shoulder for a free ride.  Seriously, that guy has no shame.

Started to tire a bit towards 3km with spirits only lifted with the 3 minor Highnams and one Super Senior Highnam cheering from the sidelines.  To be fair to Enda, he did take the lead for about 20m but semed more keen on looking at his watch.  From then on the race was an almost exact replica of last week.  Started to lift the pace with 1km to go wanting to avoid a sprint finish and got a slight gap coming over the bridge.  Pretty rooted by the finish line to be honest.  16:39 on the clock so taking into account the start it was about the same as last week.

Enda finished with a 16:47 to take $20 off me.  Fair play to him, he's running well as times seemed a bit slower this week.  I think the start/finish line was further back than usual - no doubt Otto (who ran the show this morning and succumbed to Enda's pressure on the start line) was trying to protect his PB.

Morning was topped off on the drive home to hear that Kirst's pathology results came through all clear!

6 comments:

Easy Tiger said...

Great news mate!

Amanda said...

Great news re the pathology - I have been thinking of you all.

Enda said...

Great news re Kirst Tom...

Enda said...

You forgot to mention how you tried to send me the wrong way and I had to slow down to wait for you... Next time I'll know the course. Plus I think your nerves were getting to you before the race so worried were you about the young upstart on the line... Don't worry Tom age catches up with us all!

thekiltedscot said...

Great news about Kirsten Tom

James said...

Great news about Kirsten.
Have a drink on us.
Have you managed to fix that dodgy phone of yours that works like old uncle Gerry's ?