Saturday, June 22, 2013

NSW XC Champs - Nowra - 17th in 41:49

Manic day. Dropped Billy at soccer, took the rest of for breakfast, then took Charlie to soccer, left him with Big Sam as I was then late for driving down to Willandra. 3 hours later I was there, quick warm up with Barts then mad panic as the starter called everyone to the line and I realised I hadn't put the chip on my new spikes. Ran back to the car, tried to find the key on the front wheel BUT IT WASN'T THERE! Then realised the white Golf GTi I was searching the wheels of wasn't mine but someone else's parked 2 spots closer. Got it, put the chip on, triple tied my laces and lined up with my heart going 200bpm.

Wanted to ease my way into the race so started easy then picked my way through the field in the first km. It was a strong field (not at the pointy end, but around the pace I would be running) and I knew the blokes to look out for would be Barts, Robdog, Geoff Arnold, Kevin Robertson, Richie Roberts and Peter Costello. By 1km (on the steep downhills) I caught a big group including all those names (except Richie who always starts easy) plus Dylan Dudley and Cale Bowd. This was to be a feature throughout. I ran the downhills really well and made up good ground but struggled going back up. The course was a bit easier this year avoiding the big hill but adding a longer section on the way out. It still undulates the whole way and gives you no opportunity to get into a stride. At the end of the first lap I had dropped slightly off the back of the group (see the splits below) but not before Robbie and Geoff. Second lap was the same again, not losing contact completely and finding a bit of a rhythm but starting to struggle by the end. Nice to get a couple of shouts from Aparna from work. Final lap was holding on hoping someone may drop in front of me to give me something to aim for. A chap called Matt Cole fell off badly and I nearly caught him before he recovered very well over the final km to pick up 3 more spots.

Still felt relatively OK at the end so pretty pleased with the result. 3rd race in a row where Barts has finished 1 place in front. He's becoming the new Tucks. Nice to finish in front of Geoff, Robbie and Richie. Would have been good to be closer to Kevin R. But a solid run which will pay dividends in a couple of weeks.

Then drove 3 hours back home. Shattered now.


1 comment:

Superflake said...

Bronze medal 35-44 age group too Tom. Behind Peter Costello and Kevin Robertson. Congrats.