Thursday, June 06, 2013

HuRTS 3 x 2km

MC back and on a new regime with an exercise physiologist. Timmy out sooking with his achilles. Crowds galore. Time for the new 3 x 2km - reduced number in order to keep the pace quicker. I'd had some emails from Robdog last week telling me I needed to do fewer reps and run them faster so this was the intention today - to make myself lactic.

First rep I run with Barts and Vlad and this random chap who looks so easy it's a joke. Barts turns to me and Vlad half way through the rep with a look on his face saying; "who the f**k is this kid?!". I'm giving it everything with Robdog's words in my head and we finish the 2km in 6:15. 2 mins rest then same again - kid still with us. I take some time at the front when I feel the pace easing a bit. End in 6:13. Struggling now. The boys started 5 yards in front on the final rep and I never caught them, finishing 5s adrift of Vlad and Barts (the kid finally blew half way through) in 6:21. Rooted, but this is exactly the session I've been missing. Blowing hard over a sustained effort and desperately holding on. Hurts like hell but felt great after.

Had a chat with the kid and turns out he works at NAB in the financial institutions group (good client of mine). He's called Jason Roxburgh and has form - a 31:30 10km PB and 69min half. Barts is already counting down his days as HuRTS #1.

Well, that was the session. Then on the extended warmdown the bombshell was dropped. Take a look at Timmy's blog today. More Aussie bashing. Well, news has filtered through that our John Bull, Anglo-loving, Churchill admiring man from the Black Country turns out to be an Aussie. Not only does he have an Aussie passport (which, in fairness, most of us have adopted for expediency sake), but HE WAS BORN IN MELBOURNE!!! Yes, you read that correctly. Young Timmy is more Aussie than Richie Palmer.

Thank God he's no longer fast enough to make the English team. Big Sam will be weeping by now.

Timmy, yesterday:



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shocked and horrified

Superflake said...

Shame! Shame! Shame!
Thought you would have seen Jason Roxburgh before Tom? Just maybe not at Hurts?

David said...

Young Timmy an Aussie????
Stone the flamin crows!

Jason ROXBURGH used to race up here in Queensland, I think he lived on the Sunshine Coast.

David said...

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/runners-gear-noosa/342660/

From 2008