Saturday, April 06, 2013

Striders 10km Homebush - 4th in 34:05

5km warm-up with Macca and Barts for a bit then quickly into the congregation for the start. Didn't see any guns on the start line other than some unknown chap wearing a English athletics team top. Well the gun went off and so did he. Briefly saw him on the switchbacks as he whizzed past us.

Neil Pearson went off pretty hard with Barts and I next. Going up the hills at Scribbly Gums Barts started to pull ahead (hills always show who's feeling strongest) and he'd gapped me by the top and was pulling ahead. So from then on I was running solo. By the top of the hill at 5.3km Barts was with Neil and they had about a 20-30s lead, but Neil looked to be fading and rounding the hut at the bottom I could see him ahead so just concentrated on catching him. Worked my arse off to do so (which helped me run a good negative split) and caught him just after the hill at 8.5km but he immediately put an effort in and got 10m on me soon after. Then rounding the penultimate corner I gave it one final go and got on his shoulder before he responded once again. I pussied out at this stage, telling myself I'd tried hard enough. But in short, crap first half when I just couldn't get going but more encouraging second half.

Tedious fact #1: I ran exactly the same time today as I did on the same course in November. Andy almost did too.

Great run by Barts who was strong the whole way and continues his good form - he ended up with 33:43. Enda also had a great run in 35:12 and will undoubtedly PB at the Sydney10 next month if he continues this run of form. Anna won the ladies dipping under 38mins (and thanks for the top Anna - Bec loves it!) but run of the day was Laura's fellow Macquarie employee Ella who has run almost every HuRTS session over the past 2 months and improved her 10km time from 43:xx at North Head last month to 40:36 today!

Ran a warmdown with Enda and Andy afterwards before heading out for a couple of km with Barts and Darren Deed - the English gun we saw on the startline who is over here for 10 days for his mates wedding. Turns out he's a 29:40 10km runner and debuted in the marathon last year in 2:18 - knocking on the door of Commonwealth Games selection. He won today in 31:03.

21.5km all up.

1 comment:

David said...

Nice run Chairman and a good account.