Saturday, April 27, 2013

Striders 10km handicap

I was the back-marker for this along with Thamal. At least with Thamal there I'd have someone to chase as we were 1:30 behind the next runner (Tongey). Timmy was a bit in front going off 37:30 with Anna and Anna on 38:00 and quite a few more dotted around.

I felt pretty confident going into this having been feeling really good in training this last week and confident of a 33:xx but that all went out of the window after 300m. My legs were just dead and I was blowing like a steam train. Tried to hold on to Thamal but as soon as we climbed up Scribbly he pulled ahead. We did the first 2km in 3:12 and 3:18. Coming down Scribbly I caught him again and this turned into a common theme - he'd pull ahead on the flats and uphills and I'd catch him on the downhills. 5km in 17:08 and my legs still felt terrible, it's the worst I've felt in a race for ages.

We passed Timmy at 6km then on the hill before 7km Thamal pulled ahead with a 5s gap. Timmy said that from behind it looked as though I just sat up. By now we were catching a load of other runners and by the final km it became very busy. Over the final 2km I could see Thamal was slowing and I finally started to feel vaguely OK. Dodged through the crowds in the final 500m to get within a couple of seconds of Thamal and finish in 34:07. At least it was a negative split (16:59).

I'm guessing I felt so crap because of the flight 24hours earlier but I'll need to improve a lot over the next 7 days to run well at State 10km.

No comments: