Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The shame of Young Timmy

Today was the 45min tempo. Still tired from the weekend so took it easier. Ran with MC, Ben O'B and Macca on the way out and Macca and the chap from AMP(?) who always finishes fast on the way back. 11.81km in 44:12 (3:45's).

I'm very disappointed to say that last night Young Timmy brought shame upon himself. We were having the usual banter about bets on the 10km race at Homebush in 10 days and remarking on how close our bets usually are. Now I have traditionally offered him 80s and we normally finish within a few seconds of that mark so that's where I started my offer last night. He went though a list of excuses as long as his arm and, dare I say it, sounded right like a whingeing pom. So, to end the conversation and move on I relented and agreed to give him a 3 minute(!) headstart. And now he won't even take that!!!!

Just to lay down a few stats:

1. My training this month is almost identical to Jan 2012 (check the blog) - running every day, building a base, getting tired but knowing it's for benefit in 3-4 months.

2. Timmy tried to train through Xmas this year (albeit not with great success) but certainly more successful than last year (check his blog).

3. In the Feb Homebush race last year I ran 34:33 and Timmy 36:53. (Just noticed that Michael Ho - who was just behind me in training today - smashed me in the Feb race last year)

4. Look at my post from Feb 26th last year. Timmy had his bad turn trying to do a Sunday run on the trails and had his Elvis moment with me forced to pick him up in the car. Yet 3 weeks earlier (with 3 weeks less training in the bank) he was able to run 36:53. So any claim of his that he'll only run 38:xx next week needs to be evaluated in that light.

So I will open it to the court of public opinion. If you think I'm being unfair offering 3 minutes, let me know and why.

Timmy, yesterday:



8 comments:

Dave Kane aka 'Kanser' said...

Tim is a shark. In saying that I don't think he will run 36:XX more like 37:3XX. You on the otherhand are running well and I anticpate you will run late 33 to early 34. So 3 mins 05 secs is fair. Give him no more

Enda said...

Tom, that is outrageous. I think you are being incredibly generous even offering him 3 mins. The guy trains for 36 hours + a week and is far fitter than last week. This is a rort of the highest order, if I were you I would go back and ask for 2 mins (I can see Timmy running high 36's)

Mr Snootles said...

Timmy has been "talking up" how poorly he has been running all month in order to suck in the honest punters like yourself. Well done for seeing through it.

Can't work out Kansers logic though sounds like he is suggesting a 3:30 start, which I reckon would cause you both to work very hard for your money.

A. Nony. Mouse.

Superflake said...

Give him 2:30. Timmy will probably eke out a 35:59 at Homebush next week.

Anonymous said...

Mr Highnam, As a regular reader of your blog that i enjoy so much i read with interest your latest intended bet with that Young Timmy.
I am more then surprised to see that you wont take less then 3 mins as it appears that the old guy of the group is struggling more then normal. i think you would be safe offering 3.30. He is in the present condition only able to beat that Edna, or is it Ena lady you have in the HURT team.
Give him 3.40 then i think it will be a close call - anything else is just Un- Australian.
Yours truly
Mr Neutral

Anonymous said...

Mr Neutral,

Interesting comments and let me be the first to assure you no-one reading your remarks thinks you are actually Young Timmy.

Having considered your totally neutral comments perhaps if Mr Highnam wants to get a bet on he should split the difference and offer 3:15?

Given that he would be rorted offering more than 3:00 I believe he would be wise not to though.

Mr Impartial

David said...

Tommy; your first race of the season a rusty 34;30 for you.
Young Timmy will run 37;00 even though he has been displaying Mental Fragility for the last two months!
Talking about Alf Garnett-did you catch the score this morning!
Here is a photo of Young Timmy changing his allegiance (again!).
http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=107113&start=14020&st=0&sk=t&sd=a#p3603122

Tim said...

lets hope you are spot on then Master, i'll be happy with that result :)
Fear the chairman will run a sub 34 though mate