Sunday, July 08, 2012

State Road Relays

First up was the kids, Billy running very well but Bec struggling a bit. I think she's going through a growth phase. They both then ran with Charlie on the 2km fun run and he ran all the way and was stoked.

For the relays, it was a case of the HuRT Squad old guard forming the 35+ team with Tucks leading off, followed by Fats, Dicky H then me. We also had an Open team of Andrew Wilson (fresh from 4th in the Striders 10km earlier in the morning), Dicky P, young kid Taiki and supposedly EJ, but he was a no-show so I made Tucks run twice (but didn't tell him until after the first leg).

We though ASICS Wests would be our main rivals but hadn't counted on Sutherland entering a strong team including Kevin Robertson, Nick Bennett and Greg Graves. Fortunately the boys ran really well (Fats in particular) and handed over to me with a 10s lead on Wests and 15s on Sutherland. I just went out hard and tried to hold on. Felt fine on first lap but felt the marathon in the legs up the hill on the second. But we won! See pic.

Special mention for Amandas cakes. They were sensational. When we were lining up for our medals Fats told me he was contemplating a third. I thought he was talking about kids until he corrected me and said he was talking about cakes.

Some fine results in the Suncorp 10km this morning. In particular Andy and J-Fen scoring good PBs. Tucks and I were talking only yesterday about how 10km PBs are to be savoured as they don't happen often.



5 comments:

Easy Tiger said...

Well done Charlie!

Kevin Robertson?

I remember Amanda's cakes, delicious but a distant memory now.

Unknown said...

Yeah, that's the one. I got confused.

Amanda said...

Tony told me I scored a blog mention. That's a bit exciting. I'm glad you liked the cakes, although I hear the icing got mixed reviews. Oh, and congratulations on the relay result.

Tiger - I've set myself the challenge of baking every cake in my cake bible so now's your chance to put in a request. There's only so much cake I can make Tony eat.

Tim said...

your becoming a bit of a tart Tom, selling out to the highest cake baker, it was only a few weeks back we were raving about Laura's scones :)

David said...

Well I can't believe anyone didn't come out with a comment on the pose choice taken by each of you guys!
Hands on hips is normally so Gay but you carry it off here with manly aplomb! Congrats you did best.
Hands hanging straight down = dork
Hands on groin = something to hide!
Hand behind your back = sucking in your gut and sticking out your chest for the ladies!
The best bet would have been arms around each other but be careful not to place your hands on their chest!