Tuesday, May 04, 2010

HuRTS 45mins Fartlek

Still very sore in the legs (although achilles still great after increasing the weight recently for the eccentric loading) but slightly better than yesterday so headed out to what is usually my favourite session feeling pretty confident. Massive crowd today, perhaps the biggest ever, including Wildman and Durante, the Chairman, Fast Charlie, JB, Dicky High, some fast Triathlete dude, MC, Fats, LF Charlie, Dom, Todd, Indrajeet and a whole host of others. I set off at the front feeling pretty comfortable until about 5mins in when suddenly I felt pretty average. Held on to the front group of Dicky H, JB, Triathlete dude, the Chairman and Fast Charlie until the Opera House (averaging 3:37's so no quicker than when I did this a month ago) when the wheels started to fall off big time. Fats came past at the OPT and tried to stay with him but he started to gap me on Hickson Road.

Turned on 22.5mins at exactly 6km (3:45's) with Fats a little in front and MC and Todd about 50m behind. That gap between me and MC remained exactly the same all the way back. Was swamped by the front group by the OPT and it was just a question of dragging myself back. Wanted to drop out but refused to do so, telling myself the pain and ignominy would serve me well. Finished up with 11.72km (i.e. more than 700m less than last time) averaging 3:51's. Then proceeded to cough up a lung.

Need a rest. Pointless flogging myself (97kms in the past week) with the lingering effects of the flu - I think I'm only prolonging it. I'd wanted to try and get some good fitness back before SMH Half but I'd rather just run healthy again. Just counting my blessings that I'm still injury free.

Off to see JLP tonight. Given how stiff my legs are, it's going to be hell.

1 comment:

Superflake said...

All the boys were out trying to get some speed up for SMH Half. No point running hard if you can't breath. Get rid of the cold first.