Thursday, November 14, 2013

JPMorgan CC - 12th in 18:26

Started to feel crook on Sunday and came down with a heavy cold.  Timing sucked.  Still felt very average on race day but this is one event I never miss.  Had to do my company captain's duties in any case so made my way out Centennial Park.  After a few hopeless run-throughs I confirmed my decision to take it easy and run with LJ.  

Massive showing from the HuRT Squad as ever.  This photo was taken shortly before the race start:

I buried myself a few rows back from the front line and ran with the crowd.  Must have been in about 60th position or so at the bottom of the hill due to everyone screaming away at the start but boy, do they start coming back to you as soon as you start climbing!  Asked Durante where LJ was half way up the hill and he said way up ahead.  My legs were empty at this stage and I was wondering whether I could hold on even at this pace.  Got to the top of the hill, found LJ, ran through the km marker then suddenly started to feel as though it was easy.  LJ was surrounded by runners, and I began to think, she's a class act, a race winner and doesn't need a bum like me getting in her way.  Andy was up ahead so I started to race it.  Caught Andy and Jason Ibrahim then a big group including Enda at the front was up ahead.  Went past them just after 2km with Enda latching on and I ran with Enda for about a km.  From then on it was Kenny and Fast Charlie in front but I wasn't gaining quickly.  Thought about pushing hard to catch Kenny after 5km but I'd have had to nail myself?  Quickly came to the lazy conclusion that my body wouldn't thank me.  So maintained the pace to the end trying to enjoy the spectacle and smile for the cameras.  I got the km splits as follows:

3:26, 6:29, 9:43, 13:14 (was that one long?), 16:26

A great run by LJ to win in 19:36 smashing her PB.  A big PB for Jeet too who was the most angry man finishing when he clocked 20:00.  Otherwise most people were slower than usual.  MC was disappointed to fall 19s short of a sub19.  Andy is coming down with Manflu and Barts said he just felt flat.  Good to see the Stallion back out running a 19:50.

Frustrated not to have been running healthy.  There was a good group just in front of Barts (who ran poorly) and Muz with Alex getting 3rd in 17:47 and Chamkaur just behind.  This is the first time I haven't beaten 18mins since 2005.  Having said all that, I don't think I could have run any quicker today.  Pretty sure that if I had pushed from the beginning I'd have blown up at Paddington Gates.  But it's bit of a fizzer for the end of season race.

Plenty of banter and trash talking in the tent afterwards which continued on to the Light Brigade.  Good to see Macca out running again and staying to the bitter end.  We even contemplated Maisy's in the cab on the way home.

The battle for HuRTS#1, with Barts doing just enough as usual:

Super smooth Kenny with me in the background:

MC realises it ain't gonna happen:


No comments: