Tuesday, July 30, 2013

5000m TT ES Marks - 15:39

Drove over with Enda then 3km warm up jogging around the track with the boys. Track was wet from earlier rain but conditions were cool and only a slight breeze so pretty much ideal. I'd brought my track spikes but hadn't removed the 9mm pins from when I ran in them at Nowra and they were too caked in mud for me to change them in the time available so decided to run in my trainers instead. Then come out to the track to see Barts in his sparkly new track spikes! Got to be worth a second a lap easy!

Headed out in a long train with CT leading the way, Barts behind and me at the back. Enda, Timmy, KiltedScot, Kroney and a chap called David Ray were following. I'd planned on running 75's all the way - partly because the maths is easy and partly because it would get me 15:37 - a chance of my PB at 15:36. But CT had gone out quicker. 74 first lap for me, then 2:27, then 3:42, then 4:56 then 6:12 at 2km and I was starting to struggle to hold on to them. Then I lost track a bit but I think I went through 4km in 12:39 (which would be 6:27 for kms 3 and 4, 77 - 78s a lap which sounds about right). All of a sudden CT is coming back towards me, I realise there's only 2 laps to go and feel great so push on. Then with 300m to go I can see I'm about to lap Enda but the bugger won't let me past him. Start sprinting at 200m to go and he goes too and we have a battle royale down the home straight. I'm thinking - respect to this fella - he's obviously making damn sure I don't lap him. But then when I finish, Enda stops too, pauses for 2 seconds then shouts "Shit, I've got another lap to go!". Well, any fatigue I had immediately disappeared as I'm virtually rolling on the floor laughing. He still managed an 80s last lap to finish bang on 17:00.

Happy with the last km of 3:00 but should have committed a bit earlier. I have ultimate respect for someone like CT who can just put it on the line and won't die wondering. I'm a great big pussy by comparison. Great PB by Barts to finish in 15:28. Enda would have gone under 17:00 if he could count to 12.5. Timmy will have been disappointed with his 18:23 but he got out there and did it and is no doubt feeling the effects of ramping up the training. And great to see Craig on the track in his first 5000m running 18:46.

5km warm down for 13km all up.



The Tourists will continue tomorrow...

3 comments:

David said...

Super run Tom, was there much left in the tank? If it was the State Champs what do you think you could have run last night?
Enda did very well to complete an "extra" lap after kicking and stopping on his penultimate.

Easy Tiger said...

Looked strong, well done!

Unknown said...

Dunno Dave. Wasn't a race but gave it a solid effort. Maybe 10s?