Saturday, July 20, 2013

20km tempo

Arranged to head over to Barts' place this morning for the tempo. Dropped the kids off with his poor wife Sam early doors then headed out on Barts specially formulated "flat" 20km route around the streets of Willoughby.

Well, it's no wonder he's so strong. There are no flat roads in Willoughby. Those that look vaguely flat are false flats. But I was very flat today. A combo of big night Thursday, quite a heavy week and no carbs last night I reckon. Even during the first km I was struggling to stay with Barts and anything under 3:40 felt like a struggle. Legs felt incredibly heavy. Poor Barts kept on having to run on the spot waiting for me to catch up or circle back to pick me up.

Anyway, only pleasing thing was that I struggled on through it without falling apart completely. Finished 20.58km in 1:15:32 (3:40's). Barts could have been 3mins quicker if he'd run solo. But it's not too bad considering the toughness of the course.

Now just want to sleep all day.

No comments: